Author Topic: Door Hinge Spring Removal -  (Read 3992 times)

Offline jwc66k

Door Hinge Spring Removal -
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
This was an ongoing pain in the (you know where) to do and I have several more cars to attent to, so I decided to make a tool. After a couple of sketches, a lot of measurements (and some wine), I went to my steel junk box to find some chunks of steel to use to make a welded "U" shaped fixture with a 7/16 or 1/2 bolt to remove the spring. Right on top was a "U" shaped bracket, about the correct length with 7/16-14 nut on the end. It was (I believe) a 67 I6 alternator bracket (marked C7DE-A). Bingo! A 7/16-14X4 1/2 grade 8 bolt with a lead point and with what I thought would be enough thread length was pulled from another box. The required thread length is about two inches, I was short. To another junk box and I found a 289 rocker fulcrum seat to spread the load of the bolt on the hinge and to give a bit of bearing surface from the lead point of the bolt. I cut a slot with a grinder (I love Harbor Freight) opposite the nut on the bracket to slide over the stop on the hinge and in the amount of time it takes to document this escapade, I was done.
Pic 1 The parts.
Pic 2 Partially assembled, the tab at the end of the bolt is tape just to hold it togther.
Pic 3 Chalk marking where the slot will be cut (It's not your drinking, sorry about the focus).
Pic 4 The setup.
Pic 5 The results, with the slot shown. I had to use a pair of vice grips on the bracket to keep it steady while I racheted away. Note grinder in background.The Motocraft battery goes into 6S1232.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Door Hinge Spring Removal -
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
Thanks for the ideas - will move this to the General Body section since it applies to more than just the 65-66 crowd ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MWM

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »
Jim,
Awesome solution!  Wish I had this when I did mine. It was a semi controlled release, but the spring still flew across the room on the one side.  There was a trick going back together, but not hard at all.  If you decide to make another one, I'll supply the wine!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »
I usually run some thick wire through the middle of the spring, put it in a vice and then twist the wire to hold the spring compressed.  Put it in place and unwind.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the ideas - will move this to the General Body section since it applies to more than just the 65-66 crowd ;)
I don't know if this technique will work on other years, the concept maybe, but the dimensions I used were derived from a specific (really messed up) 66 hinge.
I too have used the wire (0.020 to 0.030 in dia. safety wire) method in removal and installing the spring on door hinges. It was sucessful on the first attempt about half the time on removal and even less on the installation. On a few attempts the wire came loose. I found in order to keep the spring "straight" I needed two opposite side wires, and you're correct, a flying spring is not desirable. I removed a second spring last night and reinstalled it. You definately need a pair of vice grips to hold the "clamp" in place, the spring did not go flying (does it need to go thru TSA?).
I notice in the 2012 NPD catalog (the index and pages do not correspond) that just the roller and its pin replacement parts are only available in a complete kit form. Does anybody just sell the roller and pin?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »

Very clever ...thanks for sharing!  :)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline MWM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »
Jim,
I purchased just the pin and roller from a vendor at the Shelby Mid America in Tulsa.  May be a little too long to wait as it is not until June 13-17.  Sorry I don't remember the name or contact.  You may want to Virginia Mustang in the meantime.
Good Luck!

Offline 1966sprint

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
My spring broke the other day. I got a replacement from NPD, been trying to get the new one in but no luck. I have tried tie straps (too bulky), wire (wont stay in place) any good ideas for getting this installed with the door mounted?

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
There is also a premade door spring compressor tool that is made for the GM vehicles that will work for these springs with the hinge still on the car.
This idea will be much easier if the hinge is off the car though

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline 1966sprint

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Got that tool also, the nose is too long to fit in the hinge area with the door installed.  I think I am going to try a smaller gauge safety wire to see if that works.  Thanks for the input though.