Author Topic: 1969 shelby batch paint w red oxide???  (Read 2900 times)

Offline frankishelby

1969 shelby batch paint w red oxide???
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm ready to spray the undercarriage but after reading many posts and look at mant pictures about batch paint and red oxide, I notice that some have batch paint on all  the under carriage and outside of the engine bay, front frame rails and others with bath paint undercarriage and red oxide outside the engine bay and frame rails.
So my question is: what is the right way to go ?

thank's

1967 GT-350 (1427)
1967 convertible (67 shelby clone project for my wife)
1992 LX special edition feature car red edition convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 shelby batch paint w red oxide???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm ready to spray the undercarriage but after reading many posts and look at mant pictures about batch paint and red oxide, I notice that some have batch paint on all  the under carriage and outside of the engine bay, front frame rails and others with bath paint undercarriage and red oxide outside the engine bay and frame rails.
So my question is: what is the right way to go ?

Depends on the car and when it was assembled at Dearborn. Provide that and we can go from there - different time period - different answer ;)

Of course it would be easiest to check what your car had on it originally by cleaning and documenting. That is unless everything has been blasted or replaced.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline frankishelby

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
The car was built 1969 January 21st at Dearborn. When we got the car ,all the undercarriage war sandblasted ,so we don't know what kind of paint was used!!!

It is possible that they used, both red oxide in front and batch paint the rest of the undercarriage? or just one color ?

Thank's

Frank
1967 GT-350 (1427)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
The car was built 1969 January 21st at Dearborn. When we got the car ,all the undercarriage war sandblasted ,so we don't know what kind of paint was used!!!

It is possible that they used, both red oxide in front and batch paint the rest of the undercarriage? or just one color ?

Thanks for the date of the build. Given that day I believe it is more than likely that your floor pans were batch color from the firewall rearward and red oxide epoxy primer sealer from the fire wall forward.

Here is an example of the floor color from  a car from your cars period (got pictures and samples cut from floors I've kept)

And an example of the tone and tint of the red oxide for the front half (applied over the frame rails and all the inner fenders and shock towers - wheel side

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline frankishelby

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
 :)
Thank's a lot.

Frank
1967 GT-350 (1427)