Author Topic: Batch paint matching  (Read 2701 times)

Offline BillEBobb

Batch paint matching
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
Have any of you had luck matching the batch paint 'color' that Ford used on the undercarriage?  If so, what did you do to replicate the original?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Batch paint matching
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
Have any of you had luck matching the batch paint 'color' that Ford used on the undercarriage?  If so, what did you do to replicate the original?

Yes if your matching you might be able (we've been able to do here locally) to get the paint guys to bring their camera out. It takes a picture and matches the color electronically then produces a formula using their products of course ;) Just like matching exterior colors

If you don't have a sample I've had luck starting  with one of the VW dark grays and tinting from there
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:28 AM »
Technically since it is batch paint (a number of different paints mixed together that consistantly ends up with a predominantly gray shade) it would be difficult for someone to prove you wrong as long as you have the gray tint included.The shade varied from one batch to the next. If you have a sample from the specific car that you are working on to duplicate that would be the preferred method . If not then you can use any number of mixtures or formulas to accomplish the same effect.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Bob,  How "intense" (bright) would the color have been?  The sample I've attached shows a very dull dirty-gray-chocolate brown-blackish color.  I can find no hidden example on the undercarriage that looks any better. 

Since the factory was spraying leftover acrylic enamel paints would the finished look have been fairly bright?  I realize that each car was merely receiving paint in a "lick-and-a-promise" sort of manner -- just enough to keep metal from surface rusting but I have no concept of what the "finished product" would have looked like as the car exited the factory.

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
My DEARBORN built 69 (10/68) had the entire underside painted a metallic blue and it was pretty bright in my opinion. I used the spectrometer camera as JEFF mentioned and mixed a acrylic enamel formula. I then reduced the enamel with lacquer thinner which causes it to dry quicker and leave not too shiny of a look. Like BOB mentioned I really don't think you can get it too wrong because it was mix of all different colors and probably changed shades day to day. The underside of my car was covered pretty good however the outer aprons look like they cleaned out the gun when they were finished as there was heavy runs and poor coverage.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
The finish can often be pretty shinny (even the straight epoxy primer sealer is smooth and has a gloss)

Since the firewall rearward was shot from below with jets mounted below the "track"  jets can plug (not very often) and pockets or vertical surfaces can sometimes be a little thinner the effort was to coat every surface to eliminate the rust issues. You can often find bare uncoated metal right at the back end where the valance would cover later. basically the rear cross member and the pocket formed above it. This is likely due to wanting the jets to shut off before they reached the end of the car. If it went further they ran the risk of the paint/primer raining down on that car or the next one I believe.

Samples of batch colors  from 69 Dearborn

Have  more but these were handy ;)  It comes down IMHO (since you have your original color still there) to if you want your undercarriage to match what was original there or if a generic batch color/tint will do. Your choice

Chris - your outer aprons were interesting from the point that the application up into the front inner fenders was different from almost all of the other Dearborn cars that year. Must have been a short period during production that they tried that. Though they returned to that in 70 production there.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
Jeff has provided some excellent referance shots that represent a typical look .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
I have attached a few of my photos of my car that was built 10/10/68 at DEARBORN.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
I have attached a few of my photos of my car that was built 10/10/68 at DEARBORN.

Thanks for posting the pictures and they match what I've seen during that odd (different) period when they apparently did a few cars that way. Sent you a PM to compare your VIN with others - since I don't always have real build dates for all the cars I have pictures of
Jeff Speegle