Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 rocker blackout - San Jose  (Read 2617 times)

Offline calypso

1970 Mach 1 rocker blackout - San Jose
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks for your help on the tail light panel question.  I did a search for the rocker blackout and found all the pictures that you previously posted.  They show the rear edge of the front fender painted black to the bottom of the chrome strip.  Were the front of the rear wheel openings also painted black?  I saw the picture of the "L" brush painting from the door rearward to cover the space between the cladding but what about the rear edge?   February 70 San Jose.  Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:37:20 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 rocker blackout
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
This picture would suggest no

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:44:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 rocker blackout - San Jose
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
Since we've had some discussions lately non this and related subjects thought I would fix the earlier PhotoBucket photo and add some more reference pictures I've collected related to 70 San Jose Mach I side cladding black out practices

Guess we'll work front to rear

From 0R114xxx Fender black out applied with brush

0R135xxx brush used to apply black to the froward edge of rocker panel and front fender

One more example

Another example tanked from a lower angle. No attempt to black out the rocker panel under the door opening other than the standard pinch weld black out applied to all Mustangs

Another 70 San Jose example showing the rear quarter panel and rear rocker sprayed with black paint.

0R135xxx quarter panel and rear rocker application fairly sharp straight edge from likely masking

These along with the picture posted in should provide an idea of how the black out was done typically during 1970 at San Jose. Hope they help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)