Author Topic: Puzzler - Odd 69 Gauge Bezel  (Read 2205 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Puzzler - Odd 69 Gauge Bezel
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:14 AM »
Guess this is the best place for this since the application may span 69 Mustang as well as possibly Boss and/or Shelby

In putting my 69 CJ special paint car (Jan 8th finished car)  together for resale I have been organizing and installing parts that have been in storage for over 20 years. In going through the parts I drug out a 69 Deluxe/Mach I gauge bezel and in cleaning it up ran across a couple of features I have not seen before.

So anyone ever see these and/or know any details

#1 - First the color of the simulated wood grain is different from any I've seen before. Much redder that either the early or later colors though the tint/tone is similar to the dark walnut we normally see

Here is a "normal" dark/walnut bezel for comparison

#2 Second finding was a small metal (formed of two pieces) semicircular "filler" for lack of a better term. No identification number stamped in it nor ink stamp identifying it on it anywhere I can see.  Definitely not a home made fix IMHO

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:04:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Darrentxs

Re: Puzzler - Odd 69 Gauge Bezel
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:35:51 AM »
I've never seen that woodgrain or filler before either. I suspect that filler was a transitional "fix" when they were gearing up for the '70 model year. As I’m sure you know, the ignition switch moved to the column in '70. The larger column diameter meant changes for the dash bezels and deluxe wood trim panel.  I think you have some type of experiment they were trying during the transition. It appears to be a ’69 bezel opened up to fit the larger ‘70 column, then later modified with the filler to go back and be used on a ’69 column.

I can offer some input on the colors too. I have a collection of '69 & '70 woodgrain trim panels and plan to re-laminate them and offer a core exchange service. I’ve done a great deal of research in this regard. I'm about there... but back to the topic – laminate color.
Generally "walnut" panels had more orange-red in them when new than most believe. They are now often seen with UV damage, the red pigment being the first to fade.  Often base colors have faded to become anywhere from a dull yellowish ochre to coffee w extra cream.  Pristine examples I own and have seen retain orange-red and orange-brown hues.  I've removed the name plate on many sun damaged clock panels to reveal these original colors as well. Also, there was definitely color variance in the walnut material used at the factory.    I have a perfect match for teak, (which has orange-red in it too), and a very close walnut laminate with the orange-red. The walnut is tricky for me though - Do I offer people what looks right today, or what more closely matches the undamaged original material. (Perhaps both)   The laminate on your panel is unlike any I’ve seen before.  Another indication you have an experimental cluster!

Edited – To try and not be insulting to those that knew this already. I have much respect for the experts here!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:06:18 PM by Darrentxs »
Life is too short to have an ugly car.

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »
Wow what a honour, maybe I can help you.....well shed a little light anyway!

Bob Perkins 69 in MM. The gauge cluster has the veneer in the deeper red timber.
Sorry not a detailed as Darrentxs - but trying to help the helper.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 05:41:16 PM »
Bringing this one back to the top to see if anyone after tens years plus posted here anyone has found another

To add to the details this odd bezel came with a car built Jan 8th 1969 at San Jose. Kind of wish I would have kept it when I sold the car. Was a special order paint R code four speed Mach I
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 11:22:42 PM »
Bringing this one back to the top to see if anyone after tens years plus posted here anyone has found another

To add to the details this odd bezel came with a car built Jan 8th 1969 at San Jose. Kind of wish I would have kept it when I sold the car. Was a special order paint R code four speed Mach I
I hope so. I am always on the look out since first seeing the picture years ago(time fly's). I have not come across another.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 02:09:55 AM »
I'll did through the ones I have and see if I see any variances.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
Wish I had measured the bezel housing to see if that was different or short in that area - same as all the others or different. If so then the spacer may have been a passing "fix" to address the difference in how the steering column was spaced (lower) on a fastback than the other body styles but before and or later  was abandoned

May never know
Jeff Speegle