Author Topic: Early 67 vs Late 67 production observations -Hoods  (Read 23138 times)

Offline DTruitt

Early 67 vs Late 67 production observations -Hoods
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
Yesterday I went to the bone yard and made some observations that were new to me.  I've always know about the early 67's having the washer bag vs later 67's having the washer bottle.  What I had not previously observed was the different radiator supports.  I also observed a very early 67 deluxe hood without the large holes for the wiring harness.  Here are a few pictures I snapped.

7T01C166375, Scheduled 13M

Early radiator support with oval opening above battery cooling vents.

Later support with square openings above battery cooling vents.

All of the oval opening radiator supports coincided with the washer bag and the square openings coincided with the washer bottle.  I only found the one early deluxe hood without the holes in the underhood support.  Has anyone else noted these observations?

Danny 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:55:52 PM by J_Speegle »
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Early 67 vs Late 67 production observations
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
Besides the early /late things you mentioned there are also interior differences at (least with fastback) ,various suspension ,fuel line ,electrical, brakes,air conditioning, etc. as well. It is just the tip of the iceberg. My main focus is the Shelby fastback and while studying those have found a multitude of differences .There are no doubt many more other differences I am not aware of with the sheet metal parts that were deleted on the Shelby's that are found on regular Mustangs as well as with differences on coupes and convertible models.They were many more running changes in 67 then other years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  I also noticed an apparent change with the interior mirror from the knob to the flip style day/night mirror.  I didn't take any pictures of those though.  I guess I go back and look a little harder to see what else I discover.  Over the years I've concentrated on the 68 variations!

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  I also noticed an apparent change with the interior mirror from the knob to the flip style day/night mirror.  I didn't take any pictures of those though.  I guess I go back and look a little harder to see what else I discover.  Over the years I've concentrated on the 68 variations!

Danny
Yes, and there are other differences on the interior. The mirror is a later production difference . Others changes occurred at different times like the rad support you noticed. It didn't happen all at the same time. That certainly keeps it interesting to try and figure out  :o . Most of the items  we will be lucky if we can pin it down to within a few months of the individual change  ::) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
Danny,

I believe the leading reason for the turn signal hood change was because of the 390 motors. Ford found out early that the clips holding the turn signal wiring harness to the hood opened up due to the heat of the motor. Thus the harness would fall out of the clips and onto the top of the engine. When the hood was opened the harness would dangle. That lead to the engineering change to route the winring harness internally to the hood frame (through two large punched holes). The best I have documented this change is that it occurred early January 1967.

As Bob has stated, the 1967 model production had alot of running changes!

Regards,

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »
Here is a Oct build Metuchen NJ car with the early hood. Note that the wiring is not routed correctly. I should run across the center of the hood under clips where the empty holes are. The green hood is the next version that routed through the hood structure but still used the clips on the center of the hood, this car is a Nov 4th SJ build. Both of these had tar soked cotten brade wire protector. The last version is a 68 July 12th dearborn build but started in late 67. This version no longer used the center clips, but used a adel style clamp undr the housing nuts. It's wire protector was vinyl tubing. Marty

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
Marty,
Do you remember if the green car had the metal bulb sockets?  With the lighting I can't tell if it has the metal or plastic bulb sockets.  Thanks for posting the pictures. 

Also does anyone have pictures of the wiring for the hood signals on an early 67 (version 1) "original" unrestored car?

It sometimes amazes me with the number of "rolling" changes Ford made to the Mustang during a single year.  It almost seems to be the "norm".

Danny

MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
Danny the harness is the one that was on the car when we got it and I believe it to be original. The Metuchen cars as #1 seemed to have them. I will have to watch the other plants for the metal sockets. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Also does anyone have pictures of the wiring for the hood signals on an early 67 (version 1) "original" unrestored car?

I'm finding three versions so far (four with your example)

1- deluxe  with no large wire holes in the sub structure
2- standard with no large wire holes in the sub structure
3- deluxe with large wire holes in the sub structure
4-  standard with large wire holes in the sub structure

Earliest Dearborn deluxe with large holes I have is a Nov 18th (projected date)

Latest NJ deluxe without large wire holes is a Oct 18th (projected date)

Found it interesting that I could not find a San Jose car with the "early style" hood you showed, but dis find a standard one without the holes (mid Dec PD). Earliest example of the deluxe hood with wire holes had a projected build date of late Aug 66.

Guess we can do a survey on the hood and the bulb socket detail if you want to chase this one. Don't have pictures of every bottom of the hood but thing I can contribute a few data points  :)

Car below - projected date of Nov 28th - NJ. Routing in the one area differs from the first one Marty posted. Since that one is restored I would if it might be a composite - a little bit of early - a little bit late. One would think that they designed the holes across the support were design to be used as in the pictures below - for attaching the clips. Marty's first example has an extra retainer between the two turn indicators when compared to the others

Note - changed title of thread to reflect the hood specific discussion ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:12:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DTruitt

Jeff, thanks for posting the pictures.  The discussion didn't start specific to hoods, but has evolved that way!  I'd like to see more pictures of the 67 hoods now that this discussion has started.

Marty, thanks for your pictures too!  I've only seen your '67 in pictures, you need to bring that one EAST next time you are out this way!

Danny

P.S. I added the VIN and scheduled date of the car the hood was from in my original post.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:01:56 PM by DTruitt »
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline ruppstang

Jeff your example is the correct wire routing. I deducted a point on the #1 red hood for the mix of styles. And I all ways thought the early hoods used the same clips all the way, unlike what he did.  Another little detail is on the first hoods that were drilled like my green one they used grommet in the holes because the edges were sharp. The latter version had the edges rolled so there was no need for the grommets. I like these discussions they help us all. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early 67 vs Late 67 production observations (Hoods & Radiator Support)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »
...........The latter version had the edges rolled so there was no need for the grommets. I like these discussions they help us all. Marty

So Marty - 6 versions??

Going to be difficult to pick that detail out (the rolled edge to the large holes)  in a picture
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:32:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

Marty, thanks for your pictures too!  I've only seen your '67 in pictures, you need to bring that one EAST next time you are out this way

Stop here on you way to or from the Grand National in Mustang OK. We have plenty of extra rooms. You can check out all of the cars. I got the 68 HCS home Sunday. Marty 

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »
Jeff,
Yes 6 it is possible allthough I have not payed too much attention to the structure of the flat hoods. Do not see too many on the show field. Marty

Offline rodster

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
I'd like to see more pictures of the 67 hoods now that this discussion has started.

Here's one from my 67 Dearborn car.  Feb 08 build date. 39,000 miles so my guess is it's all original.

Has just the right amount of 'patina'.  ;)

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A