Author Topic: Valve Covers  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Valve Covers
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
     The early 69 Cobra Jet cars had as original equipment chromed valve covers.  These valve covers were stamped ' POWER BY Ford ' and often had date/shift stamps. 

1.  Is there a correct date range for these covers ?  Is that date range determined by the build date, the block casting date or some other method ? 

2.  Were the valve cover bolts chromed as well ? 

3.  The valve cover bolts had a variety of head stamped logo's.  B&H, a capital R inside a circle, a small L surrounded by a larger G, are some examples.  Are there a specific set of bolts correct for this application ?

Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:20:45 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Valve Covers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
     The early 69 Cobra Jet cars had as original equipment chromed valve covers.  These valve covers were stamped ' POWER BY Ford ' and often had date/shift stamps. 

1.  Is there a correct date range for these covers ?  Is that date range determined by the build date, the block casting date or some other method ? 

Believe it would best to compare the valve cover dates to the engine assembly date since they would have to have been made prior to that date and IMHO that would be the best comparison

2.  Were the valve cover bolts chromed as well ? 

3.  The valve cover bolts had a variety of head stamped logo's.  B&H, a capital R inside a circle, a small L surrounded by a larger G, are some examples.  Are there a specific set of bolts correct for this application ?

If you have an assembly manual that would be the best place to look for the part number for those bolts and in turn that would give you the finish, Would not use the Illustrated Parts Catalog since that would only list the service replacement finish

As for the markings I have not studied that detail nor kept records of that findings. All plants would be the same - any change would likely be time period based.  Hope someone else has focused more on this detail for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
I think an education session is due. From my notes (mostly 65 and 66 San Jose cars), by 1969 the valve cover bolts were grade 5 or 5.1 (three marks at 120 degs apart for gr 5, and one mark at 9 o'clock, one mark at 12 o'clock, and one mark at 3 o'clock for gr 5.1), all had a split ring lock washer attached, all were 1/4-20 thread, and had a length of 5/8 inch, or possibly 3/4 inch. This also applied to the oil pan except for the two on each side at the ends which were 5/16-18 types. At the least, they were clear zinc plated. The head markings you describe are what I've seen plus several more. Unfortunately there is no factory engine assembly documentation available, and the Ford Car Parts service parts are a separate hex screw and washer.
If you could provide a description a bit more detailed, a correct replacement may be found. My own inventory has about 150 grade 5 and 5.1 screws of various head markings that are not used on anuy of my 65 and 66 Mustangs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »
     Thanks for the replies and information.  I realize I am raking the minutia here but thought I would ask just in case this subject had come up before.

1.  I suppose a date prior to engine assembly by eight weeks would be a reasonable window.

2.  I personally have never seen chromed valve cover bolts.  Polished steel would seem to be acceptable and probably the norm.  The K codes and the Big block 68's came with chrome valve covers.  What kind of bolt did they use ?

3.   Currently, on the car now, the valve cover bolts are the B&H logo variety.  So I am going to guess they are OE.

The grade 5 boltsJim describes, do appear on my 65 and mostly with a letter E surrounded by two raised circles.  I don't believe I have any of the grade 5's, in the application, on the 69.

Thanks again for the interest.  Brian
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:21:02 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
     1.  I suppose a date prior to engine assembly by eight weeks would be a reasonable window.
Sure. The factory original air cleaner on my Oct 65 San Jose "K" car is date coded "5A", January 65.   
     2.  I personally have never seen chromed valve cover bolts.  Polished steel would seem to be acceptable and probably the norm.  The K codes and the Big block 68's came with chrome valve covers.  What kind of bolt did they use ?
Clear zinc plated, which was the standard finish for all valve cover and oil pan hardware. Some were painted engine color.
     3.   Currently, on the car now, the valve cover bolts are the B&H logo variety.  So I am going to guess they are OE.
I found two different B&H markings, with the "&" sign and without.
     The grade 5 boltsJim describes, do appear on my 65 and mostly with a letter E surrounded by two raised circles.  I don't believe I have any of the grade 5's, in the application, on the 69.
It's not an absolute. Sometime in the late 67 model year (rumored) but starting for 1968 cars and on, grade 5.1 hardware began to be used. But the factory used what Ford purchasing could get, with engineering approval. Any hardware without the grade 5 or 5.1 marks were classified as grade 2.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
 author=jwc66k
I think an education session is due. From my notes (mostly 65 and 66 San Jose cars), by 1969 the valve cover bolts were grade 5 or 5.1 (three marks at 120 degs apart for gr 5, and one mark at 9 o'clock, one mark at 12 o'clock, and one mark at 3 o'clock for gr 5.1), all had a split ring lock washer attached, all were 1/4-20 thread, and had a length of 5/8 inch, or possibly 3/4 inch. This also applied to the oil pan except for the two on each side at the ends which were 5/16-18 types. At the least, they were clear zinc plated. The head markings you describe are what I've seen plus several more. Unfortunately there is no factory engine assembly documentation available, and the Ford Car Parts service parts are a separate hex screw and washer.
If you could provide a description a bit more detailed, a correct replacement may be found. My own inventory has about 150 grade 5 and 5.1 screws of various head markings that are not used on anuy of my 65 and 66 Mustangs.
Jim

Re-visiting this thread and can add a little more information.  Confirming that my 65 oil pan and valve covers take the 1/4-20 X 1/2" bolt and uses a 7/16" socket.  The two forward bolts, at 65 timing cover, take the 5/16-18 x 5/8' bolt and uses a 1/2" socket.
     The 69 uses the 5/16-18 x 5/8' bolts at the valve covers and the oil pan.  There are no grade 5 or 5.1 bolts installed in any of these locations.  The predominant bolt in use is the ' B&H ' unit with lock washer.   Brian 
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
Well I spoke with a couple original owners of 69 Metuchen cars and one had replaced his bolts but seem to remember the ' B & H ', in center of picture, version as the ones OE to his car.  The other fella had replaced his bolts as well with the AMK version.  He did check the oil pan bolts and they were mostly the same ' B & H ' style with a few of the ' B w/H ' the first one in the picture.  The AMK F 339 reproduction set are a ' B ' in a small circle.   I am going to assume the ' B & H '  with captive lock washer and polished steel finish would have been installed on the assembly line ?   Brian
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:51:02 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
     Sikora's book 'The 1969 Mustang Cobra Jet' does have some useful  information.  The paragraph below is on pg. 12 of that book.  I have a set of painted VC's. dated 7 25.  My original motor has a stamped assembly date of 8 H 27.  The cars built date is 9/19/1968.  All I need now is some chrome and a set of AMK 339 bolts.  Thoughts ?  Brian
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:12:10 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
Just wanted to remind other viewers that on the 390 engines the chrome valve covers was an option though its pretty rare to find cars were the owner didn't choose or get sold the chrome option for the air cleaner lid and valve covers.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
     Got the valve covers back today.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 01:01:37 AM »
     Got the valve covers back today.  Brian

Very pretty - that wasn't cheap  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:46 AM »
    Actually the cost was not as much as other shops have quoted over the span of the last 3 or 4 years.  I didn't rush right into this little project.  The valves cost $40, the AMK F339 Bolt kit was $16 , the gaskets $20 the decal $10 and the Chrome was $170.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »
    Actually the cost was not as much as other shops have quoted over the span of the last 3 or 4 years.  I didn't rush right into this little project.  The valves cost $40, the AMK F339 Bolt kit was $16 , the gaskets $20 the decal $10 and the Chrome was $170.  Brian

Price for the chroming is much better than I would have expected.  Have a set of Boss valve covers and lid I need to get done after the last shop screwed up the job - chrome is peeling and they left junk in the tight corners on the lid :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline jimhib

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
Brian, Those look Great!!! I've been thinking of a rechrome for my originals as well but am worried the date stamp would be obliterated when they prep them.  When I had my rear bumper done they blasted it first and it showed on the stampings.