Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 engine capacity hood stripe blackout  (Read 9193 times)

Offline tm

1970 Mach 1 engine capacity hood stripe blackout
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
Hi, have spent a lot of time searching the internet and now am just confused. Some have the engine capacity painted on the hood and others don't.

I have a 1970 Dearborn Q Code Mach 1 built Sept. 19th and is currently at the paint shop.

Need to know whether or not I should have the 428 engine capacity painted on the hood stripe or should it be a solid black stripe.
Also is there any emblems on the fixed hood scoop such as "428" or "Cobra Jet".  I've seen them on various cars, mainly on '69's, but not sure what's right.

Thanks
Tony

Offline ClevelandKid

Re: 1970 Mach 1 engine capacity hood stripe blackout
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
Check here. scroll down a bit to see the engine callout #s. The shaker hood scoop for a 70 should just say Cobra Jet with the engine callout numbers decal on the hood. My 70 Mach 1 still has the factory callout #s on the hood as my car still sports its original 1970 paint job. It has the white outlined #s. I believe those are more factory correct. I worked at a Ford dealer in 69 and 70. All the 70 Mach 1s with shakers I ever saw had the white outlined numbers. I think the non R/A cars had the solid black #s.

http://mustangsandmore.com/pages/Boss_and_Mach_Info.html
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Not an easy question to answer, I always thought it was an early, late thing but it's not so clear cut.  My 70 R code Metuchen car (9/30/69) has no engine size callout in the stripe, and the hood is still in original paint.  There's a lot of factors, (3 plants, shaker or scoop, early or late, no numbers, black engine callout, black w/ white outline, ect)

Check this Thread out on the CJ forum.....

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php/topic,18552.0.html

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
Its true that there were many inconsistencies between the 3 plants. Its strange that the original 70 Mustang factory brochure shows no callout 428 numerals on the hood. And the 351 Mach 1 has solid callout #s. But yet I have 2 different original magazine adds from Ford that show callout #s on the hood of a 428 Mach 1. I've come to believe that the factory brochures were done with prototype cars as the Mach 1 that it shows has Shelby style Twist Loks on the hood. And I believe that is incorrect hence my suspicion of prototypes for the brochure shoot.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
Hi, have spent a lot of time searching the internet and now am just confused. Some have the engine capacity painted on the hood and others don't.

I have a 1970 Dearborn Q Code Mach 1 built Sept. 19th and is currently at the paint shop.

Need to know whether or not I should have the 428 engine capacity painted on the hood stripe or should it be a solid black stripe.

As mentioned a very confusing subjects discussed many times - good thing is that we don't have to solve it just find the answer to your specific time period and plant ;)  SO we're looking for something in the 0F05Q109xxx-112xxx range?

Also is there any emblems on the fixed hood scoop such as "428" or "Cobra Jet".  I've seen them on various cars, mainly on '69's, but not sure what's right.

You have a hood scoop not a shaker?

Will look through the picture collect and see what I've got from that plant and period that will help

Almost forgot - welcome to the site :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tm

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
Thanks Jeff and members for your assistance.
My serial number starts with 0F05Q110xxx and Hood scoop, no shaker.
I've had a look at the attached links and it's  still appears to be a bit confusing. What I can make of it, it would appear that
I would be safe to go with the 428 decal between the stripes and no emblems on the scoop. What say?
Also, was the 428 ever painted on the hood with textured paint?  My guess is no but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks
Tony
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:55:20 AM by tm »

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
tm wrote:
I would be safe to go with the 428 decal between the stripes and no emblems on the scoop.

You are correct. As 69 Mach1s had the CobraJet 428 emblem on the hood scoop but I believe this was deleted for 70 and just the callout numbers between the stripes. Not a hard thing to correct if you ever find evidence of it being any other way.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff and members for your assistance.
My serial number starts with 0F05Q110xxx and Hood scoop, no shaker...................
I would be safe to go with the 428 decal between the stripes and no emblems on the scoop. What say?

Thanks for the VIN (we'll always ask for  it or plant and date - or should)   Make this one nice since I don't have to look through thousands of pictures trying to see if there are patterns, trends, when and where..... just your cars needs :)

Also, was the 428 ever painted on the hood with textured paint?  My guess is no but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

You guess that correctly no paint - decals made it allot easier and  quicker for assembly in work

Anyway - we got lucky and found a car within a thousand or so numbers of yours 0F05H1118xx. Have a couple others from just after that car (happen to be the same color)  done with the same stripe style. Then we start seeing the white outlined letters in late 12xxxx-130xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Heres my 3/70 Dearborn built Mach 1 though mine is a shaker car. These are the original callout numbers and paint. I have owned this car since 9/73. Seems non shaker cars all got the sold black callout #s like the one above whether 351 or 428. Shaker cars all seemed to have white outlined #s from the factory that is unless someone else has a pic of an original unrestored shaker car with solid #s.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:36:12 AM by ClevelandKid »

Offline tm

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Tony

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
.........Seems non shaker cars all got the sold black callout #s like the one above whether 351 or 428. Shaker cars all seemed to have white outlined #s from the factory that is unless someone else has a pic of an original unrestored shaker car with solid #s.

Haven't looked through for the shaker stripe detail/call out but the "non shaker cars all got solid black"   don't hold up as we've seen in past discussions and as I mentioned above ;)

Here are just a few examples (using Dearborn 70 only for this exercise)

NOTE- This example appears to have had the top layer (black tape layer) burn off from sun exposure.

Jeff Speegle

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
WoW !!! Those are the first white outlined callout #s I've seen on a non shaker car. Just goes to show the inconsistency of the 3 major plants. Aside from that I always liked the white outlined callout #s better. They really stand out and make a statement.  8)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
WoW !!! Those are the first white outlined callout #s I've seen on a non shaker car. Just goes to show the inconsistency of the 3 major plants. ........

Often what appears to be inconsistencies are just unrecognized patterns ;)

A possibility IMHO given what we see it appears that the white outlined decals might not have been ready (or an after thought at the beginning of production but later were - replacing the earlier version. Sort of like the non- reflective 69 Mach I stripes (used at first) that were replaced with reflective ones once 3M figured out how to make them
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:52:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Often what appears to be inconsistencies are just unrecognized patters ;)

A possibility IMHO given what we see it appears that the white outlined decals might not have been ready (or an after thought0 at the beginning of production but later were - replacing the earlier version.

I think this is closest to reality. My own research seems to indicate that one version of the decals replaced the other, and an April 1970 MPC and 1974 OSI manual both confirm the replacements. Here's the MPC detail:

Black, before 12/1/69351D0ZZ-16B621-A
Black, before 12/1/69428D0ZZ-16B621-E
White, before 12/1/69351D0ZZ-16B621-B
White, before 12/1/69428D0ZZ-16B621-F
Black, from 12/1/69351D0ZZ-16B621-G
Black, from 12/1/69428D0ZZ-16B621-J
White, from 12/1/69351D0ZZ-16B621-H
White, from 12/1/69428D0ZZ-16B621-K

I just haven't figured out which of these are the solid color decals and which are outlined. I think the first set are the solid colors, but that's only because the outlined decals are the ones that were most recently available.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
I think this is closest to reality. My own research seems to indicate that one version of the decals replaced the other, .............................

I just haven't figured out which of these are the solid color decals and which are outlined. I think the first set are the solid colors, but that's only because the outlined decals are the ones that were most recently available.

Thanks Scott - Now we need to cross reference IMHO that info to the assembly lines to see if it matches or it changes the change over. Maybe I'll take my list and have Kevin M get me the real dates for each car I have data points on.

If I remember from earlier discussions  the dates from the car (agreed that these were only projected build dates) had a great variance between plants but that might reflect using up the old/first style before changing over a common practice when the change was not related to safety
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:59:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle