Author Topic: C4 Automatic Casting Numbers  (Read 15395 times)

Offline BoJo

C4 Automatic Casting Numbers
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:51:31 AM »
We are in the process of restoring a '65 Fastback that was originally equipped with a C4 automatic. Since our previous restorations have all been 4 speeds we don't have much experience in this particular item.

The transmission in the car is marked C6DP7006-A.  I believe this means the transmission was out of a '66, possibly a Falcon as indicated by the D.  The car we are working on has a build date of February '65 so I'm guessing that the transmission we need should have a casting number starting with C4 or C5.  My question is what exactly should we be looking for in terms of casting numbers.  Was there such a thing as a ZP which would indicate Mustang or were they more generic and used in several different models?

'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual
Build date May 30/65 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: C4 Automatic Casting Numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Don't get caught up in all the engineering decoding. Parts were used across as many models as possible and for as long as possible to save time and money.

Guess you looking at just the main case of the C4 - will see if I can find a casting number in a picture or someone with one out will pipe up and provide it ;)

The C6DP seems to ring a bell but will check
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BoJo

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  All we want to do is make sure it is "period" correct, ie not out of a '66, 67, etc.
'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
We are in the process of restoring a '65 Fastback that was originally equipped with a C4 automatic. Since our previous restorations have all been 4 speeds we don't have much experience in this particular item.

The transmission in the car is marked C6DP7006-A.  I believe this means the transmission was out of a '66, possibly a Falcon as indicated by the D.  The car we are working on has a build date of February '65 so I'm guessing that the transmission we need should have a casting number starting with C4 or C5.  My question is what exactly should we be looking for in terms of casting numbers.  Was there such a thing as a ZP which would indicate Mustang or were they more generic and used in several different models?
All Ford (including Mercury) cars and trucks use items developed and designed by their own engineering product line (Fairlane, Falcon, full size Ford, Comet) and can use without change, parts or assemblies from others. The Mustang line did not design an automatic transmission but used a design developed for Falcons. (The first engine designed for Mustangs was a Boss 302 in 1969.) The design activity for transmissions uses a code "P" hence the C6DP. Each design activity has a code in that spot, E for engine, F for fuel as in carburators, W for rear axles, etc. When the part is taken over by the service department for dealer use it gets a different part number (usually) that has a "Z" where the "P" was entered. Mercury uses a "Y" and Lincoln uses a "V" (I think). That "Z" part number is what you will see on most Ford service parts on the box.
Keep in mind that the part number you are looking at is the casting part number only. It is a part, no different than a nut or bolt. It does not have any indication as to what internal parts are used.
I think the correct casting number should be either a C4 or C5 part number (you are working on a 65) and that may be dependant on when the car was built. The more important thing to look for is the casting's date code. The next item is the transmission's assembly date code. To determine this (in a perfect world), the casting date should be earlier than the transmisson assembly date (by a week to a month) which should be earlier that the car's scheulded build date (by a week to a month).
Jim
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline BoJo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
Thanks Jim.  The problem is that the actual date coding is on the transmission tag which seems to be missing from every one we have come across.  So I was just looking for information to determine the closest to correct casting number. 
'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
The problem is that the actual date coding is on the transmission tag ..................

Since its a cast aluminum piece the date coding is done with the dots & wheel or circle

Here is a picture for you - Jan 65 C4 transmission with the casting of C5AP-7006 and a 64 casting date. So pretty close you your cars production date

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:03:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
In looking at the '65 MPC, it is showing tag codes of either PCW-H or PCW-J, but obviously, those are only on the metal ID tag.

I have some reference pics of a '65 February automatic from a 6 cyl. car and the main case casting number is C5AP-7006-B, it's a PCS-F code on the tag though.  The tailshaft is C4AP-7A040-C

Seems, based on this that your car probably ought to have C4 or C5 castings on the trans.  There was someone here on the forum that detailed a C4 a while back and posted pics.  Will see if I can find those...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »
My July scheduled 65 coupe has C6DP 7006 A with a C4AP tailshaft (C4 w/289 2v)
My May scheduled 66 vert has C6DP 7006 A with a C5AP tailshaft (C4 w/200 1v)
Dave
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:18:43 AM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline BoJo

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:29 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate all the responses. :D
'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone could tell me how to read the date on my C4? I need to know if it is an early or late 64 casting as I need to get the right pan gasket for it. Unfortunately there is no tag. Would also like to know if other parts shown are original matches for the main body please.
Note: This transmission is for an Oct 64 SJ car.
Main aluminium housing reads: C5AP 7006-B with a 2 underneath. Wheel top 1/3 has 64 and then 9 underneath, left 1/3 has 7 and three dots and right 1/3 has CT.
Rear aluminium housing reads: RFC6DP7A040 with an A under it and a 3 under that
Servo cover reads: Large Z then C4AP-7D027-B and then 1 under that
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:48:13 PM by 66RavenGTCoupeAgain »
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone could tell me how to read the date on my C4? I need to know if it is an early or late 64 casting as I need to get the right pan gasket for it. Unfortunately there is no tag. Would also like to know if other parts shown are original matches for the main body please.
Note: This transmission is for an Oct 64 SJ car.

Main aluminium housing - Looks like April 64
Rear aluminium housing - Looks like April
Servo cover - Hard to see but looks like possibly May

That's my guess.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:03:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Hope these pics help you. Off of my oct 64 SJ car
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
Main aluminium housing - Looks like April 64
Rear aluminium housing - Looks like April
Servo cover - Hard to see but looks like possibly May

That's my guess.

Hi Jeff,
This is the only thread that I could find that discusses much of the C4 circle casting codes. Please explain the April date for the main housing. Does it have to do with the dots that are near the 7?
Is there any significance to 9 under the 64?
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »
Hi Jeff,
This is the only thread that I could find that discusses much of the C4 circle casting codes. Please explain the April date for the main housing. Does it have to do with the dots that are near the 7?

Just applying the dating patterns we seen and found on other parts produced at and around the same time period at the aluminum casting plant where the dots identified the month of the castings. A few more examples of this can be found on water pumps and timing covers.

Is there any significance to 9 under the 64?

Don't know. There are allot of symbols and numbers found on the castings that apparently meant something to someone. Most likely those purposes were at the casting plants rather than the transmission plant for most of them
Jeff Speegle

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 07:26:03 PM »
Just applying the dating patterns we seen and found on other parts produced at and around the same time period at the aluminum casting plant where the dots identified the month of the castings. A few more examples of this can be found on water pumps and timing covers.

The reason I brought this up is that I saw a thread of yours asking for casting dates. My drive train is out so I figured I'd add mine to the list as well as just have it documented for myself.

Based on your knowledge then, in the attached photo of my C4 trans, the 4 dots represent April and the 4 under the 65 is just a coincidence?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 07:33:05 PM by TonyFio »
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974