Author Topic: marking paint  (Read 2513 times)

Offline 70Mach

marking paint
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
What kind of paint is used for the paint markings that are on the driveshaft, front springs, shocks?  and where can I get it? Metuchen, 1970  Thanks1
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: marking paint
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
If its paint (allot of marks awere made with other products) I have always used enamel. Everything thing from Testor little modeling paint, to pint cans of Rustoleum. Some it hobby pint and other is spray cans. Always difficult to judge how much paint you will need to make a set of mark (to judge how much of each you will need to mix together to get the color you need) so there is always some waste. Sure I keep at least 100 little paint jars and bottles - but I do allot more than "normal" owners ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
If its paint (allot of marks awere made with other products) I have always used enamel. Everything thing from Testor little modeling paint, to pint cans of Rustoleum. Some it hobby pint and other is spray cans......
+1

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
What are some examples of non-paint marks, and the products used to reproduce them?
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
What are some examples of non-paint marks, and the products used to reproduce them?

For a 70 Dearborn car like you have some examples would be

Paint inspector marks on the fender and cowl cover - used ink I believe

Rotation numbers - Example hood, fender and front #1 cross member - Appears to be paint crayon

Exterior battery panel markings (may include spray can also) and sheet metal markings (before paint applied) - Paint crayon

Misc tightened, adjusted or filled indicators - Paint crayon

Wiper motors, alternator, steering column, rev limiter plus others I can' think of at the moment :( - Ink stamped

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
Thank you so much for that additional guidance!
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior