Author Topic: Most Concours Correct Hood Pin Kit - NEW QUESTION!  (Read 9531 times)

Offline 69GTconvert

Most Concours Correct Hood Pin Kit - NEW QUESTION!
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
Can you guys tell me what you think is the best, concours looking 1969 hood pin kit available today? I want to add them back to my GT and have read many posts about wrong finishes, incorrect pins, wrong lanyards, etc.

I see most of the major Mustang vendors make the kits and also came across one sold by Tony Branda but which one is the most original looking? I have no idea even after researching this.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:17:56 PM by 69convert »
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Most Concours Correct Hood Pin Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »
Seems to me the kit in the Ford Racing catalog is the still the same as the service replacement kit I bought over 30 years ago.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »
If I recall the last review of the Ford replacement ones (likely over on the 428 CJ site ;) the cables with thicker, ends were not original looking and maybe another point or two were mentioned

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »

If you are looking for correct replacements, there is nothing made today by any vendor that looks like the originals.  I think most catalogs list the Ford Motorsport kit and the lanyards and crimped ends are not close.
Best bet is NOS if you want something....they are not that difficult to find. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:36:03 AM »
If you are looking for correct replacements, there is nothing made today by any vendor that looks like the originals.  I think most catalogs list the Ford Motorsport kit and the lanyards and crimped ends are not close.
Best bet is NOS if you want something....they are not that difficult to find.

Once they are someone will start making the lanyards I would guess :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
Thanks for your help guys. I'll keep my eyes out for an NOS set.
George
Georgia

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
If you want to put something together that is pretty good, better than the Ford Racing stuff, but not as good as NOS, it is possible.  Find original hood pins - swap meet, maybe eBay, etc. - with the coarse thread (Ford racing are incorrect fine thread) and polish them.  They are SS so they will polish.  There is a pretty good repro lanyard now and I think it is in the NPD catalog (for example).  You can buy the click pins (or whatever the proper name is) from AMK that are also pretty close but have square shoulders instead of rounded.  NOS would be better, but you have to be sure to get the early service parts because the lates ones include the same clunky lanyards that are in the Ford Racing kit.

Here is what you will end up with if you go the alternate route:
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »
Jim,

This is great info. Exactly what I was looking for. I have been searching for NOS hood pin kits for the past few days and have not found any. I may be looking at the wrong sites. Looks like I will be going with your advice.
George
Georgia

Offline Stangman68

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
I have an NOS set i'd be willing to sell??  Send me a PM: stangman68@mediacombb.net

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
Ok, have another hood pin kit related question. Can anyone tell me if the hood pin pictures I attached look like the correct coarse thread pins I would need (looks like it to me)? Also, are the attaching nuts correct? I thought originals would be a nut and a washer.

I was also wondering about the lock pins. Do they look original as well? I realize the lanyard is a repro but wasn't sure about the pin.

The pictures are a little blurry so sorry about that but hopefully there is enough detail for you to answer my questions.

Thanks for your help.

George
Georgia

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: Most Concours Correct Hood Pin Kit - NEW QUESTION!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
My hood pins and lanyards look like they are original, notice the rounded ends of the pin.

Hood pin nuts are 5/16 thick and had flat washer under each nut ( what finish is correct for these nuts & washers ? )

Reproduction Lanyards, that look original that I bought a couple of years ago.

1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
     Just to add some info;  On my car the hold down posts are course thread, The pins, nuts and washers are the same as Aussiemachs pictures.  My lanyards most likely are repro's and the crimped clasp measures 5/16" wide X 9/16" long.  My actual cable looks pretty decent.  The correctly crimped  lanyards look pretty nice but are, to me anyway, way over priced.  Brian
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:37:51 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
69convert - I think you got your answer indirectly - the ones you posted look original except for the lanyards.  I was holding back in hopes someone more knowledgeable than I would answer (Ed, Marcus??).

I also think the latest AMK catalog click pins have the rounded shoulders, unlike the square shouldered earlier repros.  If so, this means you can get pretty darn close to the original look with repro parts if you find original hood pins with the coarse thread.  Of course, nothing better than original assembly line stuff and what you pictured could probably be refinished to look new.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
I also think the latest AMK catalog click pins have the rounded shoulders......

Thanks Jim, looks like that's AMK part number B-13391. I'm going to order, save modifying some.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
69convert - I think you got your answer indirectly - the ones you posted look original except for the lanyards.  I was holding back in hopes someone more knowledgeable than I would answer (Ed, Marcus??).

I also think the latest AMK catalog click pins have the rounded shoulders, unlike the square shouldered earlier repros.  If so, this means you can get pretty darn close to the original look with repro parts if you find original hood pins with the coarse thread.  Of course, nothing better than original assembly line stuff and what you pictured could probably be refinished to look new.

Thanks everyone for all your help including the pictures. Very informative info as usual. I decided to purchase the used hood pin parts, polish everything up and buy the "almost correct" set of lanyards. Hopefully it will be NOS-like in appearance.
George
Georgia