Author Topic: 65 Coupe Trunk Lid fitment issue  (Read 2407 times)

Offline rocket289k

65 Coupe Trunk Lid fitment issue
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble fitting the trunk lid over the trunk.  The arc of the trunk does not appear to be mating to the arc of the quarter panels properly.  I may have an issue with someone inadvertently bending the taillight panel by pulling on the it to move the car during it's restoration.  However, I want to ensure the issue doesn't ultimately lie with the trunk lid itself. 

There were signs that the car had been involved in a minor fender bending at some point in it's past  (slightly bent bumper and minor dent in the taillight panel).  So I want to verify that the trunk lid itself is of a proper contour before proceeding. 

As a result I need some help.  I don't have access to another Coupe to measure the trunk lid myself.  Would it be possible for someone to put a straight edge along the bottom of the trunk lid (front edge to lowest part of the back edge) and let me know the measurement of the highest point of the arc of the trunk lid.  I've attached a picture to help explain the measurement that I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:22:00 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline rodster

Re: 65 Coupe Trunk Lid fitment issue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
Ron,
Checked my trunk lid and the measurement you are looking for on my car is somewhere around 2 13/16".  Trunk lid matches up pretty well with the quarter panel.
Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
Hi Rod,

Thanks a bunch for taking that measurement for me.

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
I finally had a chance to measure my trunk lid this morning in the same fashion and I ended up with the exact same measurement as Rod did - 2 13/16" (on both sides). 

Therefore, it appears that my trunk lid has no issues whatsoever.  Now I can focus on other sheetmetal components to determine what is causing the fitment issue.

Regards,

Ron

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »

I've found removing/loosening and readjusting the bottom latch "catch" helps this tremendously.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
My hardtop was hit in the rear (and other sides too) and the trunk lids leaks. This topic caught my eye so I was interested in what the measurements would yield. My lid's measurements are very close to what was posted which seems to reduce it's part in the leak. My problem is the tail light panel. It's bent inward, crooked and has a dip. Some previous owner did or had it done badly. Adjusting the striker does not seem to work, and the stuffing additional home type weather strip under the trunk seal sort of works. I was hoping that some measurements from the forward lip of the trunk opening to the tail light panel (plus others) would be included (hint). These measurements would be handy for a body shop to "rearrange" the sheet metal. 
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline steveo

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 11:43:17 PM »
2 wood boards smartly placed and weigh down on it, make the metal move
1964 1/2 Rangoon Red/ Red Interior, White Top, 289 2V, C4 Tranny and many body parts stamped in August, latest one seen so far is Aug 24, yes, I know.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 08:38:42 PM »
I had a similar problem with my deck lid. It's a FB and the contour was off in a different direction. It was high in the center and low in the corners of the front edge. I fixed it by moving the body, not the deck lid. I would think you could slightly bend up the sides of the QP. I know it sounds crazy, but watch this video. Where I had to bend there's actually two panels welded together. If I'm understanding where your contour is off, it'd just be the QP lip that needs to move, so I think a single thickness would move easier.

I put a 2 x 8 across the trunk pans right over the frame rails and pried up with another piece of wood.

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.