Author Topic: Window Tint Differences  (Read 4269 times)

Offline livetoride60

Window Tint Differences
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
I picked up a good used 65 windshield, hoping to replace the one in my car.  However, when I began comparing the tint across the top of each, I noticed my original dated 4K was a light tan while the newer one dated 5H was a distinct blue.  Both are marked "Carlite Sun Visor Sun X".  Did they switch tints at some point?  Could my original have possibly faded that much?  I can't believe there would be that much fade.  Must be multiple tints were used.

Newer shown first, then original.  Original is from San Jose.  Don't know the plant for the newer one.

Thanks,
Rich
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:22:31 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Window Tint Differences
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
Believe there was a change/difference in the color of the tint as your examples show- believe it was in the late 70's/early 80's. If you check your upper example its appears to be from that period (dates 5H is possibly Aug 75 ) it has the later Carlite design
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:46:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:57:56 AM »
I have noticed the same thing over the course of many cars and years as well. so I will agree with Jeff Speegle's comment on a revised front windscreen version available as a service part.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
I agree with Jeff's assessment as well.  Your windshield is probably either 1975 or as late as 1985 judging by the Carlite type logo that is pictured.  Even though it is a Much later windshield, It is an interesting Windshield though, I have never seen an actual Ford/Carlite windshield with a Blue Tinted Band....Only Later Repro Aftermarket windshields from PPG, Safelite, AGP, etc.

The Broken Oval Carlite Logo was used at least thru 1973 that I know as fact as I own a 1973 Windshield with the Original Broken Oval logo (Same as '65-'66 Logo).

All the Original Carlite (whether new or old) I have ever seen has always had a Green tinted (turns brown with age) Band, not Blue.  Your 1975/1985 Carlite windshield seems to be the exception.  See something new everyday I guess.. I'm wondering if an Aftermarket supplier temporarily supplied Ford with Windshields for awhile.  It would not be out of the question.. Still Interesting!

Tony K.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:58:45 AM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Thanks all for the info.  That makes sense.  Didn't think of it being a 75 or 85 replacement.  Anyone have a good original dated 4K?   :P

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »
Pilkington glass can make you a front windshield with the correct tint and even put on the correct Carlite logo and whatever date code you want or need....
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »
Thanks.  Found out some more info.  Checked with Pilkington, and unfortunately they can't do the Carlite logo or a date code.  They can only put LOF "Libbey Owens Ford" on it.  Apparently they are a European company who bought out LOF, and only do that.   Windshield for 65 Mustang from them is $80 + $110 shipping for tinted.  $230 + $110 shipping for clear. 

They only do a clear or "blue" band with green UV tinted glass however.  I check with PS Auto Glass though, and the gentlemen there Paul explained this is the way they were done.  The "blue" is actually a green-blue, and did fade to tan as noted earlier.  PS Auto can do the exact broken oval Carlite logo with date code.  I found a couple very good recommendations for PS Auto on this forum, and Paul explained he's been doing this for 22 years, with no points taken off for their windshields.  Sounds like the way to go.

$375 shipped for blue band with green glass + correct logo & date code from PS Auto.  He even knew for a 65 the logo should be etched on the inside and readable from the inside.  Same as my original.

Please let me know if any of this sounds off.  I didn't see a real green tint on my original initially, but looked again and seems to have a very faint green cast.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:59:09 AM by livetoride60 »

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »
Thanks.  Found out some more info.  Checked with Pilkington, and unfortunately they can't do the Carlite logo or a date code.  They can only put LOF "Libbey Owens Ford" on it.  Apparently they are a European company who bought out LOF, and only do that.   Windshield for 65 Mustang from them is $80 + $110 shipping for tinted.  $230 + $110 shipping for clear. 

They only do a clear or "blue" band with green UV tinted glass however.  I check with PS Auto Glass though, and the gentlemen there Paul explained this is the way they were done.  The "blue" is actually a green-blue, and did fade to tan as noted earlier.  PS Auto can do the exact broken oval Carlite logo with date code.  I found a couple very good recommendations for PS Auto on this forum, and Paul explained he's been doing this for 22 years, with no points taken off for their windshields.  Sounds like the way to go.

$375 shipped for blue band with green glass + correct logo & date code from PS Auto.  He even knew for a 65 the logo should be etched on the inside and readable from the inside.  Same as my original.

Please let me know if any of this sounds off.  I didn't see a real green tint on my original initially, but looked again and seems to have a very faint green cast.

You should check out ECS Automotive in Chesterfield Missouri.  I haven't used them for glass (I used the for their excellent decals)  They apparently offer "FACTORY EXACT Date Coded Glass for 1964 1/2 thru 1970 Ford vehicles" per their website. http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=f&id=1

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open