Author Topic: 67 Coupe = Black / Charcoal Metallic Standard Interior Colors Question  (Read 7146 times)

Offline IndyFive-O

Refreshing the black interior of my 67' this winter and I don't know what gets painted with charcoal metallic and what gets black.
Doors?
Dash?
Rear Panels?
Steering Column?
other trim pieces ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:49:30 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 289 Coupe "Sports Sprint"
2007 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Black / Charcoal Metallic Standard Interior Colors Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Your year and body style

Doors, A pillar (if I remember correctly),  dash, steering column, quarter panel trim, glove box and ash tray

Black??? Bottom of the brake and (if you have manual) clutch pedal. Center of the dash trim and gauge bezel. Inside surface of the console trim if equipped, heater door and cable anchor bracket arms -  if non AC, Shifter indicator brackets if you have a console, defroster duct black out (under dash pad), drivers side fresh air vent

Think that's it but might have missed a small bracket or two
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:53:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Black / Charcoal Metallic Standard Interior Colors Question
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:41:33 AM »
Your year and body style

Doors, A pillar (if I remember correctly),  dash, steering column, quarter panel trim, glove box and ash tray

Black??? Bottom of the brake and (if you have manual) clutch pedal. Center of the dash trim and gauge bezel. Inside surface of the console trim if equipped, heater door and cable anchor bracket arms -  if non AC, Shifter indicator brackets if you have a console, defroster duct black out (under dash pad), drivers side fresh air vent

Think that's it but might have missed a small bracket or two
To add -kick panels were black as well as hard backs and lower seat trim(if deluxe).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Coupe = Black / Charcoal Metallic Standard Interior Colors Question
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »
I believe that the dash pad to windshield trim strips were black as well.

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
Thanks guys.

I tried searching but couldn't find any good pictures of the charcoal metallic. I'd like to see a finished car to see how the contrast looks - you guys have any good pics of your dash / interior?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:54:57 AM by IndyFive-O »
2007 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks guys.

I tried searching but couldn't find any good pictures of the charcoal metallic. I'd like to see a finished car to see how the contrast looks - you guys have any good pics of your dash / interior?

If we posted it it would just look  like a slightly off black the metallic and "frosted" look will normally not show up.

Really IMHO does not show up well in pictures unless you do a side by side comparison with two test panels. If you do a search you'll find (well should) suggestions on how to apply the Charcoal in relationship to the properties of most of the available paints out there

Bottom line is that is the correct finish so you don't have much choice in the process ;)

This first picture likely shows the best look (notice the top of the steering column surface)

Jeff Speegle

Offline Oz390

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »
Here are a few shots of SemiGloss black against a door with CGM. 

The alternator bracket is VHT GM Satin Black, the other (a convertible top frame side rail) is a semigloss black my shop did,  do not know the specific color code.

Hard to get a real good comparison, but you can see the "softer" frosted look in the greyer CGM.

HTH

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline nham3407

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
I have been researching the Charcoal color for the past 3 weeks for my 1/3/72, Dearborn Mach 1 dash.  I purchased the rattle can charcoal from NPD and applied it over flat black to keep tos keep the gloss down.  I have completed 4 different spray outs with various rattle can combinations and I am not happy with.  Does anyone have a proper formulation for the old Ditzler 9295 formula?  I would rather apply a correct paint formulation that try mutiple layers of rattle cans that could show some inconsistenty.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
I have been researching the Charcoal color for the past 3 weeks for my 1/3/72, Dearborn Mach 1 dash.  I purchased the rattle can charcoal from NPD and applied it over flat black to keep tos keep the gloss down.  I have completed 4 different spray outs with various rattle can combinations and I am not happy with.  Does anyone have a proper formulation for the old Ditzler 9295 formula?  I would rather apply a correct paint formulation that try mutiple layers of rattle cans that could show some inconsistenty.

You read my mind, that brings me to my next question: what's the best way to put it down? NPD rattle cans, sprayer, or is anyone familiar with the Preval refillable sprayer?

Thanks for all the responses so far, they have all been very helpful.
2007 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
You read my mind, that brings me to my next question: what's the best way to put it down? NPD rattle cans, sprayer, or is anyone familiar with the Preval refillable sprayer?

As mentioned here and elsewhere - your likely going to use enamel rather than the original paint products.

Most of the Charcoals are pretty thin (lots of clear and metallics not much color:( so most spray a light full coat of semi-gloss black over a stripped bare surface to insure the most amount of grain will show through the finished product. Over this a couple of light dry coats of the Charcoal will produce a acceptable finish. Too much paint and you'll get a smooth (or at least smoother) finish and a glossy final look :(

Did this on my Boss years ago - got to redo it again :(

Number of related topics in the search feature - one example

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4058.msg34927#msg34927
Jeff Speegle

Offline Oz390

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
In comparing the NPD to OEM parts off my 68's it is almost a perfect match.  Application is the trick.  I use  a base of SGB and then do 3-4 very light coats from ~12-16" away, it goes on a bit dry.  This keeps the charcoal metallic color better, as I found spraying too close and "wet" to leave a darker less metallic finish.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline nham3407

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
Thank you for the additional feedback.  I have searched several other forums for Ford products and the Torino Cobra forum had some good information as well.

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3913&p=24097&hilit=interior+black+paint+codes#p24097

I will try adjusting my distance back on another spray out sample of the NPD paint.  I have sprayed it over a base of black primer and will now try a base of SEM Trim Black. 

Thank you,
Brian

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
Thank you for the additional feedback.  I have searched several other forums for Ford products and the Torino Cobra forum had some good information as well.

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3913&p=24097&hilit=interior+black+paint+codes#p24097

I will try adjusting my distance back on another spray out sample of the NPD paint.  I have sprayed it over a base of black primer and will now try a base of SEM Trim Black. 

Thank you,
Brian
I don't think you are going to get a proper/best  look on a large piece like dash ,doors etc. with the rattle can . At least that has been my experience. OK for small pieces maybe . I would use one of the professional lines. PPG etc. I believe it is formulated (strangely) as a lacquer with a flex agent in it. It drys very fast and you need to have good ventalation or at least you will have to open some doors after  ;) because the fumes can be strong. You still have to have a black base to spray over for best results. It comes already very thin and you can spray it right from the can to the spray gun.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline nham3407

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »
Bob thank you.  I do agree that I would prefer to avoid the rattle cans, but I cannot find a formulation to get a quart of spray out paint.  I have gone to 3 different shops with the Ditzler numbers from the 72 Paint Sheets and they cannot cross reference the old numbers.  I would greatly appreciate someone throwing out a formulation they may use.  I took a part over to see if they could color scan it and they scanning machine could not pick up the grays and kept returning black.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Bob thank you.  I do agree that I would prefer to avoid the rattle cans, but I cannot find a formulation to get a quart of spray out paint.  I have gone to 3 different shops with the Ditzler numbers from the 72 Paint Sheets and they cannot cross reference the old numbers.  I would greatly appreciate someone throwing out a formulation they may use.  I took a part over to see if they could color scan it and they scanning machine could not pick up the grays and kept returning black.

Might want to try Auto Color Library/TCP Golbal - been mentioned a number of times in the past. Have used their "white" interior and have their "black"   just haven't had a need to shot the black as of yet..

http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28roi%29+tcp+global+branded&utm_content=auto+color+library&utm_term=auto%20color%20library

Just a possibility ;)
Jeff Speegle