Author Topic: What paint for engine compartment  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Rsanter

What paint for engine compartment
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
I need to repaint the engine compartment on my 69 conv.
I want to use spray paint for ease and the fact that this car will be driven more than shown.
What is the best matching paint to the original sheen in the engine compartment?
I used to use krylon 6513 semi satin but do not see it available anymore

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

priceless

Re: What paint for engine compartment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
I've used Eastwoods underhood black (PN 10024) for years with exceptional results. The paint is tough and resist chipping. You say you'll be driving more than showing and the Eastwood underhood black IMO would be an exceptional paint for your project.

I just entered my 69 mach1 into the conservator class from the MCA concours driven class and used Eastwood products almost exclusively and have never had any points deducted on the engine compartment paint.

Hope this helps.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
Would not use a rattle can but instead shot it with a gun. Of course what is available in some parts of the country is not in others. One such product is Hot rod black (just had it applied on my Boss' engine compartment ) Its a two part paint and compliant in just about ever state and air district.  Is a little softer and more delicate that other gun shot two part paints I've used (still tougher than rattle can) but does touch up very well (can't tell when the repair was done) with SEMS trim black

Believe the new Krylons are a different formula than in the past (believe they are listed under farm applications now)  - just does not seem to be the same finish as in the past. Did try Eastwood (for the chassis black) a number of years ago - came out with a slight brown finish (just what I noticed) when compared side by side with other parts painted with other black paints. - Just my experience

Sure others will offer what has worked for them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
+1 for hot rod black. Used to use acrylic enamel PPG 9000 withflattener but the flattener i found too unpredictable. My body man showed me the hot rod black and it is awesome and easy to work with
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

priceless

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Bob,
From my experience, underhood black that I mentioned is different sheen paint and different part # than chassis black that Jeff mentioned. It seems that in your post you're wanting to use a rattle can since you mentioned Krylon. If that's the case, Eastwood does carry several different satin/semi black paints that I have used for years with great results and have had great results in the judging of MCA with the underhood black.

Duplicolor also carries semi gloss that is also exceptional to use in the engine compartment area for the rattle can user. Vendors also carry several different brands of engine compartment black.

You be the judge and use what works for you.

Good Luck with your project.

-Rich

Offline cmayna

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
I have had great luck with SEM's Trim black.  It is available in a can but also by the quart for the gun which to me lays down much better.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
+1 on SEMS.
5F09C331248