Author Topic: Carpet recommendations  (Read 6526 times)

Offline vtstang

Carpet recommendations
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »
I will be replacing the carpet in my 1965 GT convertible soon and have a few questions. The trim code for the car is 68, which I believe is the Ivy Gold/White pony interior. My seats are the two tone Ivy Gold/White with the pony emblems. Comparing the carpet to samples from Auto Custom Carpets, the color matches their Ivy Gold sample. First question is did all 65 Mustangs with this trim code 68 have Ivy Gold carpets only, or were their other optional colors? I noticed that both NPD and Mustangs Unlimited sell the ACC carpet line and they seem to have quite a few more available colors, such as Dark Green that I think would look nice with the seats and the darker green dash. But on the other hand, if it's not a factory color I may want to stay with Ivy Gold. Any comments or recommendations? Any other carpet sources that you think I should consider?

Thanks.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Carpet recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:17:55 PM »
The original carpet would have been dark green and approximate the color of the dash pad.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
I've never owned a 1965 Mustang with interior trim code 68 but I've owned three 1966 Mustangs with interior trim code 68 and all three  had the light ivy green carpet. If you're pretty sure that the carpet in your car hasn't been replaced (look under the seats) color match to it. The carpet color should also be close to the dash pad color.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »
Mike's 10k mile June '65 convertible, and 26k mile coupe, both all original:
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline vtstang

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys.

The original carpet would have been dark green and approximate the color of the dash pad.

On various sites, I have seen photos of '65 cars with the dark green carpet that have the Code 68 Ivy Gold/White pony interior. That doesn't necessarily prove anything, but that was the answer I was hoping for because I think the seats and carpet blend well.

Mike's 10k mile June '65 convertible, and 26k mile coupe, both all original:

Thanks for the photos Charles. The carpet in those cars look like a lighter shade of green to me. Would you hazard to guess what that shade of green might be called? Auto Custom Carpets offers 3 shades - dark green, moss green and olive green. In the Scott Drake catalog, dark green only. Any further help to this newbie would be appreciated.

PS - the color of the console in the two cars look different - one seems more tan colored, the other off white. Was console color an option too?

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
Perhaps it's the picture but the dash pad and carpet in the coupe looks lighter in color than the dash pad and carpet in the  convertible of Mike's cars.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
The console in the coupe has yellowed with age. That car has just shy of 30 K miles on it and was used and cleaned many times over the years. The one in the convertible hasn't yellowed as it spent 30 years in a basement. It only has 10K miles on it. Both are Dearborn cars.
   The carpet on both cars is very close to the same color as the dash pad . By the way I'm the Mike they belong to. My first car was a 65 GT coupe with the same interior and exterior color. It was a Metuchen car and also had dark carpet.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
It's just the picture Richard. They are the same.

Offline vtstang

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
The console in the coupe has yellowed with age. That car has just shy of 30 K miles on it and was used and cleaned many times over the years. The one in the convertible hasn't yellowed as it spent 30 years in a basement. It only has 10K miles on it. Both are Dearborn cars.
   The carpet on both cars is very close to the same color as the dash pad . By the way I'm the Mike they belong to. My first car was a 65 GT coupe with the same interior and exterior color. It was a Metuchen car and also had dark carpet.

Mike - thanks very much for the info on your cars. Both interiors look great. Without trying to beat a dead horse on this topic, would you say picking the dark green sample out of the ACC catalog (upper middle) would work best for me? Sorry for the blurred names, I just scanned the page.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
I think that the dark olive green is the color you want, but without having the sample in my hand it would be hard to match. The carpet has a grey cast to the green like the olive.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »
I just visited the Virginia Classis Mustang blog and their is a excellent picture/advertisement of a white 1965 Mustang GT Coupe with what appears to be light ivy gold and white appointments.

Offline vtstang

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
I think that the dark olive green is the color you want, but without having the sample in my hand it would be hard to match. The carpet has a grey cast to the green like the olive.

Mike - the dark olive green carpet sample from ACC is an excellent match to the dashpad and complements the ivy gold/white seats very well, so I am going with that. The carpet that I've removed (Ivy Gold) is definitely not original to the car and matches neither the dashpad or the upholstery, or even complements it well, IMHO. Maybe an earlier owner thought an Ivy Gold carpet was the correct choice to go with a trim code 68 Ivy Gold/White upholstery? Makes some sense, but when you see them together it doesn't. Thanks again Mike and Charles for the pics and info.

Richard - thanks also for the info on the Virginia Classic Mustang blog. I will go look at that.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Your welcome. If you have any more questions on the interior just give a shout.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
I'll just chime in and say that ACC uses the color name "Ivy Gold" and that confuses folks.  Just because they call it Ivy Gold that doesn't mean it is the correct color for the Ivy Gold interior.  The color that they call Ivy Gold is way to yellow and light.

Personally, I think this is one of the most difficult colors to match right on.  We use the color called Moss Green.  I think it looks good, but it's not exact.  It may be a bit lighter than the original carpet pictured.

As mentioned in the thread, one of the other greens may be close to the original color in Mike's cars, but I don't think any will be perfect.

Also keep in mind that the colors may change slightly with different runs. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:44:34 PM by Brant »

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Guys, I don't mean to hijack this one, so I'll be glad to start another thread if needed.  Is the darker green carpet we've discussed for a '65 also what would've come in a '67 with Ivy Gold interior?  My original carpet was long gone and was replaced with ACC Ivy Gold carpet, and after reading this, I'm concerned that my car should've had a darker shade of green.
Too much junk, too little time.