Author Topic: 65 Washer Kit Install  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Chris

65 Washer Kit Install
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
I came across an original 65 windshield washer kit (pics below) that has the motor, bag, tubes, nozzles, and switch. There are some instructions (from 7-64) included, but before I get into it, I wanted to gage how extensive this kit install really is.

Aside from putting in all the components from the kit such as the motor and bracket (both where sheet metal dimples indicate), is the switch that's supplied with the kit basically a swap-out with my existing wiper switch? The kit is for a single speed washer which is what I have in my 64 1/2 (single speed motor).

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Washer Kit Install
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »
Since you have single speed, should all be plug-n-play.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 03:19:35 AM »
If you have purchased the kit to add washers to the car then the assumption would be that the car has single speed wipers without washers.
If this is the case then your existing wiper switch will be a 5 pin and therefore it doesn't have the pull out washer function
The new switch with the kit should be 7 pin and have the pull out washer function
Your existing harness plug will plug straight back in leaving 2 pins left unused
One of these pins takes the wire to the pump and the other is connected a powered socket
The longer black wire with the white stripe has a moulded boot on one end this plugs into the pump
The other end into the switch
The short white wire plugs int the switch and then to a power source
Cheers

65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
Very neat kit!  Thanks for the pictures.  ;)

I'm guessing finding the power feed wire on a car would be an indication of a post-factory washer kit install?  Or did the factory do it the same way?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
My car does not have an existing hole for the wire that runs from the pump and through the firewall. What size should the hole be at the firewall?

There is a rubber grommet on the pump wire that looks to plug into the hole at the firewall, and from the inside of the car (plug bigger on side inside car versus firewall side).

I look to have a dimple on the firewall above the wire harness that enters above the break line junction.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
My car does not have an existing hole for the wire that runs from the pump and through the firewall. What size should the hole be at the firewall?
Measure the retaining portion of the grommet first - twice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
I also don't have an existing hole for the black wire retainer that would plug into the inner apron just up from the pump, to gather the hoses and wire off the pump. I have a dimple (white dot in picture) up and to the left of the large round hole beside the pump.

What size hole is drilled for the wire retainers?

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
The Osborn 64 1/2 electrical assembly manual shows the install in more detail and provides the hole diameter size for the strap retainer for the hoses coming off the pump, .247-.251 diameter hole. I take this to mean a 1/4 drill bit will provide the right size hole?

There was no listing for the correct diameter for the hole to feed the pump wire through the firewall and to the switch. Anyone with an original washer system know what this hole diameter is?

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
Here is a closer look at the wire and attached rubber grommet. The hole could be a little smaller than the grommet where it meets the flat face end that would be on the inside of the car up against the inside firewall. The width of the retaining portion of the grommet looks to be 1/2 inch. Since it's rubber, I'm guessing a slightly smaller hole would be best?

Anyone had an opportunity to measure their hole opening for this wire and grommet?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:04:07 AM by Chris »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Measure the retaining portion of the grommet first - twice. There are known differences between factory installed items and NOS.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
Referencing the picture I posted, there is the large flat portion, then an indention separating the flat part of the grommet from the tapered portion. The widest part of the tapered portion (part that would be inside the engine bay) is 1/2 inch. I'm guessing the hole size would be slightly smaller since the grommet is rubber and can compress some through the hole.

That said, I'm surprised how hard it is the get the information on the size of the hole from the factory. It seems easy enough to get the hole size for GT fog lights (guess this is a more popular add on) but not for single speed washer pumps. I'd like to be precise versus guessing at the hole size.

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
Can anyone measure the hole size at the firewall for a single speed windshield washer?

The size is probably different for a two-speed since there are more wires and the grommet is probably larger (don't know for sure).

Chris

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »
The pumps are all the same for '65 and early '66, which means the same single wire is used for single or dual speed wipers.

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
The pumps are all the same for '65 and early '66, which means the same single wire is used for single or dual speed wipers.

Based on this info, then it looks like there is another active post in this section looking for the same information, "firewall hole locations and sizes", http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8224.0

If so, then the hole size for early '66 and my '64 1/2 would be the same (i.e., same grommet/plug for the firewall used for single and dual speed washers), both with a single wire that goes through the firewall but splits off into two wires to the switch and one down to the fuse box.

Any info on the size of the hole for the grommet would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:24:56 PM by Chris »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
Both cars in the garage didn't have washer setups, so can't help, sorry.

I guess you've combed over the installation instructions and no mention of this?