Author Topic: Early 69' undercarriage detailing  (Read 1903 times)

Offline rspscj

Early 69' undercarriage detailing
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking
for some advice on detailing the undercarriage
of my 1969 Mach I. it was built in Dearborn, has a scheduled build date code of
Sept. 20 1968, actual build date is Oct.
2 1968. It's Acapulco blue, I don't have any photos of the underside
Before it was stripped, but would like to know what color and pattern of primers
would be considered correct for it?

Thanks!!!

Rick...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early 69' undercarriage detailing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful

First we have no way of knowing what color your car's original floor and front frame rails were originally. But since all evidence, according to you, is gone your left to using what others from the same plant and time period have/had and go from there.

With that said it appears that your car falls into an odd, unusual or different  period at Dearborn in 68 on the Mustang line. Looking at other samples reported to have been built within a week or less of your car I offer the following

Below are two examples of the blue-gray batch color that they were applying to both the floor section (firewall rearward) and the forward frame and inner fender panel section (firewall forward)

They likely started with a gray epoxy primer sealer base and added left over or old body color paint from the shift or day before. More blue cars (for example) more blue tine ...... you get the idea ;0

In this one the paint that was applied through the seat anchoring hole was protected the best for a sample

And another from the drive line tunnel

Original colors could be different than what your seeing on your screen due to camera and monitor settings

At the front of the car the painter would have applied the color to the bottom of the frame and brackets welded to frame as well as up into the front wheel well on the tire side - shock tower and surface of the inner fender panels behind the radiator support.  Of course much of these last surfaces will receive some or allot of body color and or black engine compartment paint

Floor color would have normally faded out before it reached the rear cross member. Sure your already aware that on top of the floor color you'll end up with body color and pinch weld black overspray

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rspscj

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:59:27 AM »
Thanks Jeff, this helps a great deal as I am striving to get this car as close as possible back to original.
I also need to "redo" all of the seam sealer
and undercoating as well. I'd also accept any advice on this subject as well!
I don't know much about this, like what brands and types of products to use, and what equipment as well.

Thanks again!!!

Rick...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff, this helps a great deal as I am striving to get this car as close as possible back to original.
I also need to "redo" all of the seam sealer  and undercoating as well.

Lucky there is not allot of sealer used under these cars (seat belt inner anchors, rocker to floor and the bottom of the trunk drops)  If you have to do all the cars - that's a fair amount of work ;)

Sound deadener (factory didn't apply undercoating)  in the front wheel wells and to the floor (since you have a Mach) isn't much fun

I'd also accept any advice on this subject as well!
I don't know much about this, like what brands and types of products to use, and what equipment as well.

Do a search as there is a fair amount of info already posted. IF yoy need additional help ask and we'll review and expound on the information already there

Thanks again!!!

Rick...

What we're here for ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)