Author Topic: Shipping tie down brackets - Dec 65 Dearborn  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Building 3

Shipping tie down brackets - Dec 65 Dearborn
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Were the shipping tie down brackets installed before the paint process or were installed so stile later in the assembly process? 1965 December Dearborn build. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:23:45 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Shipping tie down brackets
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
Based on the difficulty I had taking mine off, before the exhaust (factory dual) was installed, which would have been before suspension was installed too, but after paint.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
Were the shipping tie down brackets installed before the paint process or were installed so stile later in the assembly process? ........

After the paint process at all plants
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »
What is the finish on them? Same at all plants? If plant and build date specific, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the ones on the car in my signature.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »
What is the finish on them? Same at all plants? If plant and build date specific, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the ones on the car in my signature.

Depended on plant - your plant and year they were bare steel
Jeff Speegle

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
+1, Both of my Dearborn Coupe's had unfinished Tie Down Brackets.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
How was the front of the cars tied down for shipping while we are on this subject?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
How was the front of the cars tied down for shipping while we are on this subject?

A cast T shaped loop. Have a couple somewhere - their also described and illustrated in a manual from Ford I have on loading rail cars for shipping autos.

Thinks you learn here :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
A cast T shaped loop. Have a couple somewhere - their also described and illustrated in a manual from Ford I have on loading rail cars for shipping autos.

So a lot like the ones that are on tow truck chains or used at auto body shops?
There is a "slot" in the front frame rail, right behind the valance, that is where they hooked up?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
So a lot like the ones that are on tow truck chains or used at auto body shops?

Yep - tow trucks and frame racks

There is a "slot" in the front frame rail, right behind the valance, that is where they hooked up?

Insert, turn and tighten ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 04:39:08 AM »
I've been in the process of restoring my late '65 tie down plates and replacing the hardware.........

Were the OE bolt heads unmarked? Which style nuts are correct?

Can't answer that without knowing when (got that late 65) and where your car was built?? ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
I've been in the process of restoring my late July Dearborn '65 tie down plates and replacing the hardware.

Pictures of the hardware removed that I believe to be factory attached. Bolts have unmarked heads.

Taking a look at AMK kit F-256 (TIE DOWN BRACKETS (Rr) 12 pcs 65Z, 66Z) the bolts have a "R" with 3 slashes below them (picture attached), and nuts do not appear to be same style or finish as what I removed. Additionally it appears 2 bolts are missing from the kit.

Were the OE bolt heads unmarked? Which style nuts are correct?
The unmarked bolts ,washers and nuts are a typical variety. I can't say the same thing for the AMK hardware. The exception is the lock nut which I have seen plated like the AMK as well as what appears un plated.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
What I've found, mostly from San Jose cars, is that there is mix of parts used. Based on the size hardware required, all 7/16 inch, the selection of the following seems to be reasonable; there are few common assembly line bolts or nuts of this size; Ford did not want special hardware; Ford may have bought cheap bulk quantities. The only documentation for tie down plates in in the 71-73 Body manuals referencing 67 tie down brackets, C7ZB-10578-79 -A for single exhaust cars, and C7ZB-10578-79 -B for dual exhaust cars. These drawings show a tie down bracket that looks very close to the ones used for 64-66 Mustangs as shown in my pictures.
For 1965 and 66 (both sides):
20430-S2 7/16-14 X 1 1/4L, GR 2, no head marking, 2 used into a welded in nut in the bottom of the frame rail. These are the same bolts used to attach the manual transmission case to the bell housing.
20546-S2 7/16-14 X 2 1/2L, GR 2, no head marking, 4 used thru the frame rail to a washer and nut. These are the same bolts used to attach the bell housing to the V-8 engine.
374358-S8 7/6-14 nut, flange 0.870 dia, stover lock, GR 2, 4 used with 20546-S2. These are the same nuts used on the bumper to retain the domed bolts.
(p/n unknown) 7/16 flw, 0.468id, 0.875od, 0.059-0.085t (as measured from several cars). I could find no other application for this washer in Ford documentation, however, it is identified in the AMK catalog for use on GM bumpers.
44730-S2 7/16 flw, 0.459-0.479id, 0.922od, 0.051-0.080t. I could find no other application for this washer in Ford documentation. It is a Ford standard washer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »
I've stripped my tie down brackets bare and shot them with Eastwood diamond clear satin to protect them.

Hope it holds up- been lucky to get the sprayed surfaces to last over one year here in dry Calif

Where have the "R///" head marked bolts been found on early Mustangs as pictured in the AMK kit above?  They seem very out of place compared to original bolts I've seen.

No where - AMK does not always supply bolts with the correct or even period head markings - only something that will fit and work. Unfortunately more of this as time passes and he runs out of the old stock and supplies

The ones in the kit will guarantee a point deduction on any concours car if seem - and they should be ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
Great details!

I've stripped my tie down brackets bare and shot them with Eastwood diamond clear satin to protect them.

Where have the "R///" head marked bolts been found on early Mustangs as pictured in the AMK kit above?  They seem very out of place compared to original bolts I've seen.
I have seen RBW marked ones before in that location. But not as typical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby