Author Topic: Cleaning/Restoring Original Buildsheets  (Read 5128 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Cleaning/Restoring Original Buildsheets
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:29:11 AM »
Buildsheets were the single sheet pieces of paper that the line workers used to guide the assembly of every specific car during the second half of assembly. There were dozens of each printed for use on the line as well as at the sub-assembly stations situated around the plant.

In most cases the buildsheet showed a color or abbreviated number to help workers identify the needed part so that identification could be quick and accurate. Unfortunately most of the copies used to build our cars were destroyed, either intentionally or due to age and  the elements. 

Sometimes a restorer gets lucky and finds one copy between the underlayment and the floor boards of his/her car. Unfortunately the years of direct contact with the tar based underlayment results in a heavily stained and discolored piece of paper. Many, many years ago, after some experimentation, I found a method that can vastly improve the readability of these old historical helpers.  I've shared this method on many web sites and forums since the web opened up to the public but only in words so I thought an illustrated version was about due - especially since we've got a special place to post and share.   Look for the article in the Library section of the web site - there is a link you can find in any of the specific year article list. For a short time its marked NEW   ;)

Like most endeavors this is only the way that has worked for me. Your results may vary and there is likely a better method, but this is what has worked for me.

Hope it helps in your efforts to produce a better concours restoration and your enjoyment of that task.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:27:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Cleaning/Restoring Orgiinal Buildsheets
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:27 AM »
I didn't find anything as of this morning in the Library section; the last date of added material was January of this year.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
I didn't find anything as of this morning in the Library section; the last date of added material was January of this year.

At the top of the Library section there are individual years such as ConcoursMustang.com Offical 68 Mustang Article List

If you open one of those up and go down the list of Articles, Installation Instructions, Magazine Article Reprints, Special Service Letters, Service Campaign Documention and Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins  sections you should see the article in the first section with a bright red NEW next to it

Give that a try
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
Very handy idea...I was thinking turpentine...but I have no build sheet in my San Jose :(
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
     I would like to ask for opinions from those that have some experience with cleaning up a build sheet.  I have a build sheet for my 69 Metuchen car.  It is a tan color from age or staining I can't tell.  The original form print is ledgeable but the typed in printing is barely visible and difficult to make out.  The finished product in Jeff's example seems to have bleached the fragile paper to a almost white without damage to the original printing or to the typed in printing.  The  ' cleaning '  process as described seems simple enough but this build sheet is irreplaceable and I am reluctant to gamble with it.  What do you think ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
     I would like to ask for opinions from those that have some experience with cleaning up a build sheet.  I have a build sheet for my 69 Metuchen car.  It is a tan color from age or staining I can't tell.  The original form print is ledgeable but the typed in printing is barely visible and difficult to make out.  The finished product in Jeff's example seems to have bleached the fragile paper to a almost white without damage to the original printing or to the typed in printing.  The  ' cleaning '  process as described seems simple enough but this build sheet is irreplaceable and I am reluctant to gamble with it.  What do you think ?  Brian

I would try the process on one of the lower corners and then compare the results. In this case you can compare at least the factory preprinted form ink and paper and shorten the "soak" time to only 1 min. 

I've never had one that completely eased the printing from the form  but may just be my luck. The one I used for the article I must say did not have a high amount of contrast between the background and the details typed on the sheet so I don't think it bleached anything in those short couple of minutes 

The choice is yours.  Would always suggest that you can the original before the process as a back up
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
Thanks, Jeff, for the directions to find the document, and a great write-up!

Do you have any tips to help preserve the fragile paper that is wrapped around the wiring harness?  Mine are so fragile that they tend to crumble just by looking at them.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »
Do you have any tips to help preserve the fragile paper that is wrapped around the wiring harness?  Mine are so fragile that they tend to crumble just by looking at them.

Don't normally find those ones - might try and soak as I did, unfold and dry. Even if you had to piece it back together its better and more usable than when you started.  Might even try (to unbend easier) straight water but just a guess. Would be nice to have a couple to play with

Maybe someone else here has tried something even if it didn't work

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
     Thanks Jeff for your thoughts.  I have made copies and I have sent copies to several people who may have an interest in this model car.  I think this might be one of those times to just leave well enough alone.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cleaning/Restoring Original Buildsheets
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
Did double check the one I just cleaned - believe there is no bleaching that took place. Think the camera and all of its automatic "help" made the picture just turn out that way. Will take a few more pictures in more natural light and report.

Think anyone will be happy with the results but its an individual choice as always though some will choose to test the waters with an example found in a donor car or elsewhere rather than their own car's build sheet the first time. After all the ones I've done I would not hesitate - nut that's me ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »

I was very hesitant as well, but I gave it a shot and it worked out fairly well.  I figured "why not, I can't read the darn thing anyhow!"  But before soaking I did a high-resolution scan "just in case".  I ended up doing 2 soaks of about 10-15 minutes each, with a setup almost identical to Jeff's article.  I used a flat/textured foil tray for drying, like what you might put in your oven to catch gunk.  I also didn't flatten the soaking pan humps, but I think that would be a great idea to minimize how much solvent you need to use at one time.  Also, the solvent seems to evaporate pretty fast.

Just be gentle with your sheet when removing from the solvent.

*Thanks for the great article Jeff!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:51:12 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cleaning/Restoring Original Buildsheets
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:52:24 AM »
Thanks Mike for giving it a try and getting back to us. Would guess that the product brand is likely the only difference in the results other than the differing amounts of how bad/dirty the buildsheet was before you started. Would guess that we will see more examples of the results over time as guys give it a shot

As promised another shot - this time natural light no flash or adjustment, of the one I recently  did

Bottom right corner is a section I cut off of the sheet before I cleaned that main sheet - just for comparison of how much the paper changed

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:28:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle