Author Topic: 1969 FMX trans VIN stamp location  (Read 3750 times)

Offline tony 63C

1969 FMX trans VIN stamp location
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Hello Guys and Gals,

My first post on this fine forum, which strangely I was unaware of until several days ago.  I’ve searched the web and now also this forum for an answer to where the VIN stamp on early production FMX transmissions is but have not been successful.     

For the past four years I’ve owned a 69 Mach1 one with 351W M code / FMX Auto.  Build date Oct. 18, 1968.  I’ve found conflicting information on where the transmission’s VIN stamp is located.  With the vehicle on a hoist I’ve pored over the visible parts of the transmission case and do not see any number stamps.  This leaves the inaccessible top of the transmission (while tranny is in place) where it’s been mentioned the VIN stamp may reside. I know that with some C-6 units from this period the stamp is found here.  I am hoping that one of the knowledgeable members here can put this mystery to rest. 

Many thanks in advance,
Tony

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 FMX trans VIN stamp location
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
Its was applied to the top after the engine and trans were mated together I believe . This made placing it on the bottom a bit difficult

Will look through the collection to see if I've got a good picture - as you mentioned C6' sand C4's were on top also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tony 63C

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
Jeff, many thanks for your prompt reply!  I would be most grateful if you could post a photo showing an FMX with the location of the boss where the VIN was stamped.  It occurred to me that I could use the ‘snake scope’ we have at work, and knowing where the stamp is located would help me navigate the camera to the correct location.  The car was purchased with the understanding that he drivetrain was original, and it’s only the tranny that I have thus far been unable to verify as a match to the VIN.   

Many thanks again.  Cheers,
Tony

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
Looked - no luck :(

Guess I need to look for some at the next yard visit  or around the shops

IF I was looking for it - I would guess that I would start at one of the locations pointed out below. It will be the short VIN version like on other types of trans stamped with the VIN in 69

If you knew where the VIN was stamped - the low tech method of using PlayDoh
 works pretty well   I use this method when I'm doing vehicle inspections

Jeff Speegle

Offline tony 63C

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
Hi again Jeff,  thanks so much for your efforts.  They are very much appreciated.  The PlayDoh suggestion is a good one.  I'll try the snake scope first as I can do this without getting right underneath the tranny. 

Many thanks again!

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
     Not an FMX but to point out how very lightly the vin stamp is.  I used a magnifying glass to read the numbers on this one.  Brian 
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Believe you will find that the aluminum automatics will have a clearer and deeper stamped VIN  but as Brian showed cast iron cases make it more difficult to stamp and because of the textured surface more difficult to see often. Since the main case in an FMX is cast iron its a good representation of what your looking for

Need to correct my earlier post above. You may find the full VIN stamped - apparently (looking at my pictures) not all of the plants used the same pattern asa the others - go figure :0
Jeff Speegle

Offline tony 63C

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:52:06 AM »
Many thanks again guys.  I'm hoping to get the time next weekend to try to locate the VIN.  I'm hoping the VIN is as clear on the cast iron FMX case as it appears on my block, which of course is also cast iron.  I'll post my results here.

Cheers,
Tony