Author Topic: Correct Air Cleaner Decals? (1970 COUGAR - 428CJ - Ram-Air)  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Correct Air Cleaner Decals? (1970 COUGAR - 428CJ - Ram-Air)
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
Hey Fellahs,

I know this isn't for a Mustang, but I figure it would still be a pretty good place to inquire for "correctness".

Would these be the correct air cleaner decals for a 1970 COUGAR w/ 428CJ and Ram-Air?

I've heard conflicting reports on whether the "FRONT" decal is correct for '70.  There doesn't seem to be much room for it at front-center...

I've seen various versions of the "AUTOLITE" decal with different part numbers.  Haven't seen one with the '70 RA part# though (D0WY-9600-A).  This one has no part numbers, so I figured it would be "the least incorrect"...

Not sure if this "FoMoCo" decal was used for '70 RA cars, or even where it was placed on the air cleaner...

Already have this repro in my parts pile, but really would like to find an original one...

Also, was there a factory decal used on the inside ram-air lid?  I don't think there was, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks in advance!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct Air Cleaner Decals? (1970 COUGAR - 428CJ - Ram-Air)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
First three - no. Either don't go or are not the best/correct available

As for the Cu In one I'll check and get back (as well as better choices for the others ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:13 PM »
First three - no. Either don't go or are not the best/correct available

As for the Cu In one I'll check and get back (as well as better choices for the others ;)

Thanks Jeff!

I've compared the CJ-428 reproduction with the remnants of my original decal, and I don't think the repro is very accurate.  But it is the only one I've been able to find :-/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:55:55 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
Ok looked around and, as you know, Cougar guys have their limitations :(

Leave the FRONT off as mentioned earlier.

Hate to use the unmarked decal might try one of to things in the long run.

1- Contact ECS and see if they can run some with the correct Cougar air cleaner number. Font and spacing should be the same so not a big change

2- Play with your printer and some extra decals and print over your decal with the correct info, then lay a layer of clear packaging tape over (careful no bubbles ;). Original paper decal would have had a thin plastic over layer

As for the CU IN decal you stuck again. Either send a decent original example to ECS and see if they will add the decal to the line up they have or settle on the less than perfect reproduction.

Sorry - understand your pain but this is where good and correct parts for out cars from from - some individual that will not except "good enough" or just anything and does something to make things better

Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
Ok looked around and, as you know, Cougar guys have their limitations :(

Leave the FRONT off as mentioned earlier.

Hate to use the unmarked decal might try one of to things in the long run.

1- Contact ECS and see if they can run some with the correct Cougar air cleaner number. Font and spacing should be the same so not a big change

2- Play with your printer and some extra decals and print over your decal with the correct info, then lay a layer of clear packaging tape over (careful no bubbles ;). Original paper decal would have had a thin plastic over layer

As for the CU IN decal you stuck again. Either send a decent original example to ECS and see if they will add the decal to the line up they have or settle on the less than perfect reproduction.

Sorry - understand your pain but this is where good and correct parts for out cars from from - some individual that will not except "good enough" or just anything and does something to make things better

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you looking in to it.

So the FoMoCo sticker isn't used either?  What were they for / used on?

Is ECS the "go to" vendor for correct decals?  I see alot of Osborn stuff out there as well.

...now if I can just track down a decent original "Mercury CJ-428" decal, LOL!  Ah heck, I found the air cleaner, so how hard can it be to find the sticker that goes with it?  Time to start making some phone calls!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:50:42 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
So the FoMoCo sticker isn't used either?  What were they for / used on?

Think that it was used on some 64 1/2 cars but would have to double check for sure

Is ECS the "go to" vendor for correct decals?  I see alot of Osborn stuff out there as well.

Unfortunately allot of the Osborn stuff was made many decades ago and not improved IMHO over the years to keep up with the hobby. ECS is what is left. IMHO, better than the Osborn decals - some are still off or incorrect for applications made at all assembly plants. Like most reproductions you need to evaluate every item and make a choice from there considering your needs and your level of expectations

..now if I can just track down a decent original "Mercury CJ-428" decal, LOL!  Ah heck, I found the air cleaner, so how hard can it be to find the sticker that goes with it?  Time to start making some phone calls!

Of course it would have to be attached to a piece that is not very common nor cheap..... can hear you now.....but I just want to borrow it :)

Been there .... good luck
Jeff Speegle