Author Topic: Power steering pump dipstick color?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Murf

Power steering pump dipstick color?
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
Is the power steering pump dipstick painted or unpainted (plated?)  In particular San Jose built in April of 68.  Have seen some pumps recently that made me question this.  Any photos of originals?  Thanks
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering pump dipstick color?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »
Is the power steering pump dipstick painted or unpainted (plated?)  In particular San Jose built in April of 68.  Have seen some pumps recently that made me question this.  Any photos of originals?  Thanks
It depends on the maker. The TRW (black one) was typically painted while installed on pump ,so it was black and of course a witness line on the neck of the pump from where it was installed while painted. The Ford Thompson (various range of shades of a teal blue) typically had a the dipstick added after painting and was unpainted zinc silver. The tag on the back of the pump will indicate the maker . "W" is for TRW and "F" is for Ford Thompson. Second or third line of tag I think.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
I agree on the black but have seen some painted and unpainted on the blue. I think Jeff has posted a pic of a NOS blue pump before but I do not remember if the dip stick was painted.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:42:33 PM »
I agree on the black but have seen some painted and unpainted on the blue. I think Jeff has posted a pic of a NOS blue pump before but I do not remember if the dip stick was painted.

Yes have seen blue NOS  pumps in blue with the painted cab but the issue is dating those pumps to see if they were produced during the time when our cars were built.  What Bob posted is current belief and where we are today, like just about everything if we find solid multiple examples that can be accept I'm sure we will adjust.  Just got to keep pulling that dip stick up and checking for the shadow ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
The Ford Thompson (various range of shades of a teal blue) typically had a the dipstick added after painting and was unpainted zinc silver.
Marty ,I have seen the NOS all painted blue replacement ones too but do not think they represent the historical look we are looking for which is why I was careful to use the word "typical" apposed to "is  always" or nothing at all besides the description which would mean as Ed would say "that's just the way it is.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Dudley

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
May/June '68 SJ build for the car. I need to look at the markings/stampongs and lift the dipstick for further info. Should I check?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:51:04 AM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Murf

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:21 PM »
Dudley, I am curious if there is any "shadow" left on the neck of the P/s pump from some kind of a cover used to keep paint out of the pump when it was painted.  Your car pretty much proves that the dipstick was unpainted unless you find traces of the paint on the dipstick because the paint did not stick to the plating.  Thanks for posting the image and checking on the shadow. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Dudley

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
Dudley, I am curious if there is any "shadow" left on the neck of the P/s pump from some kind of a cover used to keep paint out of the pump when it was painted.  Your car pretty much proves that the dipstick was unpainted unless you find traces of the paint on the dipstick because the paint did not stick to the plating.  Thanks for posting the image and checking on the shadow.
There is no shadow on the fill neck. There is no trace of paint on the dip stick. I took pictures to illustrate.
 Below are both the fill neck and the dipstick.  I could not get a full read of the part number of the pump
with the hose bracket in place. The only digits I could see looks to be 8F  10B on what looks like could be an ID tag
held in place under the hose bracket.     Looking at the back of the
pump, there looks to be a stamped rectangle with rounded corners in the 10:00 o'clock position, but I can't make out what the wording
is inside the rectangle. There  also seems to be what looks like a serial number stamped into the pump body.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:51:13 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
I think a plug was used . I have seen quite a few plugs on NOS blue service pumps . FYI the paint flaked off the plating easily and is why so many of the black pump dipsticks are found with only the slightest bit of residual paint still on them.