Author Topic: 65 SJ - Vent Louver Body Blackout  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Texas Swede

65 SJ - Vent Louver Body Blackout
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »
Hi guys,
The vent louvers on a white fastback looks kind of odd from a screen point of view.
The screen closest to the front will have a white background and the rest a black background from the cups. Should there be a blackout on the body behind the screen closest to the front.
Texas Swede
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:41:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Vent Louvers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Guess your asking about 65-66

What plant are you interesting in?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:09:38 AM »
Guess your asking about 65-66

What plant are you interesting in?
You know Jeff knows Bo, but think about others reading that can't read your mind (65 SJ) like the ones who know you. :D   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »
     65 Exterior Vents.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:15:57 AM »
If we're discussing San Jose then yes there are some examples were certain sections of the recess behind where the louver attaches that were blacked out at the factory. Kind of like the interior black out in the back corners of the interior during some periods
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
Sorry, I thought everybody knew the monkey. It's a 65 GT350, 5S275. However, after I wrote this post yesterday and gone to bed, I took a look in the 1965 Mustang Body Assembly Manual and there it was. Bottom right corner on page 53 there is a picture and text saying the following under #9 : (ESB-M62J5-A-1724-B) Black Out Paint - Applied to entire surface of air extractor depression, see figure 1.
Don't know, of course, if this applies to the SJ plant but it makes sense as it looks very odd
with white under one screen and black on the rest. I know, Jim Cowles and I discussed this some years ago when he asked how my car was in this area. I told him mine was white and after that time I haven't thought about until I visited a friend who just got his 65 GT350 back from the paint shop when I noticed this odd look and asked if he knew about this. He didn't so I told him I will ask the experts.
Thanks,
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
Sorry, I thought everybody knew the monkey. It's a 65 GT350, 5S275. However, after I wrote this post yesterday and gone to bed, I took a look in the 1965 Mustang Body Assembly Manual and there it was. Bottom right corner on page 53 there is a picture and text saying the following under #9 : (ESB-M62J5-A-1724-B) Black Out Paint - Applied to entire surface of air extractor depression, see figure 1.

Always good to clarify so that everyone today and many days from now reading the thread will know what it applies to

As for the assembly manual yes its mentioned there but like many things included that was only what Ford wanted the workers to do the days following that pages publication and no telling how long it was good for before a correction or change was made.

..........I haven't thought about until I visited a friend who just got his 65 GT350 back from the paint shop when I noticed this odd look and asked if he knew about this. He didn't so I told him I will ask the experts.

Hope your friend didn't use the assembly manual (for paint) literally since that may cause them grief over time. Recall a car shown a SAAC a couple years back that was done that way. Example sound deadened applied just like the manual - every inch was coated and nice tapped straight edges all the way around :(

With that said I'll dig some pictures and post them. Normally for 65-66 when they did them only the "fins" were painted but there is one Shelby picture (during the conversion to a R model) that suggests that the whole area on that one car was done - or it was a different color, other than white, originally and they didn't paint the recessed area. Too bad they are B& W pictures
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »
I'm a little confused by this thread, but if we are talking about the deflectors then mine were both black on my 9/65 SJ car.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
I'm a little confused by this thread, but if we are talking about the deflectors then mine were both black on my 9/65 SJ car.

Believe the OP was focusing on the unibody behind or where the louvers attache and if that area was "blacked out) like the pinch weld surface in 65 at San Jose -

I altered the original title to reflect the year and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 SJ - Vent Louvers
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:23:09 PM »
First off must admit that following details like this can be very difficult since few cars we get to see are fully disassembled and often they are on their 2nd or 3rd time through the repaint and rebuild cycle by now. Also if the detail is not there (or maybe never was) they often don't get documented or photgraphied and we miss out on a data point. Positive thing is that this ins one detail I've attemtped to observse for over 20 years sicne San Jose fastbacks are popular cars to restore

So it appears that at least San Jose may have started out in 64 blacking out the area in question than switche to only doing the area that would show through the louvers once bolted to the car. When veiwinng the following pictures ignore the first exterior color (evidence of a later repaint on the two lower pictures) and look at the contrast between the original exterior color and the recessed area of the B pillar

This first picture is taken from a collection widely distributed on forums of the rear wheelwells of a R model GT350 being altered. with the black and white picture the contrast is very evident. Would guess this was 001, 002 or one of the first regular batch of cars.

This second example is from a early Nov 64 San Jose car (from the projected build date). Light blue body with a full blacked out recessed area

This next example shows the next version of the black out, highlighted with the arrows. This example if from mid Jan 65 (from the projected build date) Red car with just the three areas blacked out. "Fins" are blacked out on both sides of their surface plus the extended rearward area shown

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
You are the man. Next time the interior goes out of my car I will black out these areas.
It's all in the details. That's what makes this hobby so fun for us old geezers.
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
You are the man. Next time the interior goes out of my car I will black out these areas.
It's all in the details. That's what makes this hobby so fun for us old geezers.
Texas Swede

Where does your car fall (before or after the change)?  If after we can discuss a couple more black out areas in the interior ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Jeff,
My car, 5S275 was built in SJ in the beginning of May 1965. Say May 7-10.
Engine was assembled on May 3 and the car was received at Shelby American
on May 13.
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Jeff,
My car, 5S275 was built in SJ in the beginning of May 1965. Say May 7-10.
Engine was assembled on May 3 and the car was received at Shelby American
on May 13.
Texas Swede

Thanks guess I could have looked it  up.

Checked the pictures and the interior detail was a 66 thing - so sorry - never mind  ::)

Have a great week
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

Re: 65 SJ - Vent Louver Body Blackout
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »
OK, now that I know the subject  ::)  It looks like my 9/65 car had some attempt at blackout along the lower edge.  You can see a black paint line.  The black you see at the top and rear edge is actually tape (per the assembly manual).  Kind of hard to be sure about the rest because it is dirty.

Jim
'66 GT FB