Author Topic: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?  (Read 9682 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
As I said before you do not need the canceling cam unless you have the tilt wheel. It is needed for the different tilt turn switch. The standard is built in to the steel of the wheel base.
Marty

Yes, now I get it...I just looked at a fixed wheel style turn signal switch and I think I now can explain it clearly.
The standard, non-tilt cancelling cam is actually part of the switch itself. There is a spring-loaded pin that indexes into the slot on the back of the steering wheel... any steering wheel, standard or wood.  On a tilt wheel application, the plastic cam has a notch built into it that indexes into the same slot (slot is in the steering wheel), the cam is needed because the tilt-style switch does not have the cam built into it like the fixed column switch does. Look at a non-tilt switch, here is an example. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X67+mustang+turn+signal+switch&_nkw=67+mustang+turn+signal+switch&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:09:27 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online 67gta289

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
If needed I have a couple 67 tilt columns to take pics of, but won't have access to them for another week.  Let me know if you need something.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
Thanks Marty. Could you please indicate which feature of the non-tilt wheel performs the cancelling function? I see no such feature, yet I'll admit I do not know what I am looking for.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
Thanks Marty. Could you please indicate which feature of the non-tilt wheel performs the cancelling function? I see no such feature, yet I'll admit I do not know what I am looking for.

Angela, I discussed this in my previous comment. (I also uploaded another picture depicting how the tilt wheel cancelling cam indexes to the back of the wheel) I figured out where I probably caused some confusion because my experience has been soley on tilt-wheel applications for over 25 years now. I had forgotten how the non-tilt cancelling worked but now I see it clearly after viewing a fixed column switch again.  Look at the signal switch in your steering column or if you have it still out of the column, look at the switch (do not yet look again at the wheel) There should be a spring loaded steel pin sticking out of the switch, attached to a ring in the middle of the switch, not the spring loaded horn contacts, but nearer to the center of the turn signal switch. That ring inside the turn sig switch rotates around and works as the signal cancelling device. That spring-loaded pin will temporarily press in once you install the wheel but it will find itself into that slot in the rear of your steering wheel after the wheel is rotated in the column post assembly making it assembly-line dummy-proof. (now you should look again at the slot in your wheel) This is accomplished after the assembly on it's own, you do not have to concern yourself with indexing the spring loaded pin to the slot of the wheel. When the cancelling cam that is built into the T/S switch bumps into the outer parts of the turn signal switch assembly, that center part will find that slot in the wheel on it's own and after your front suspension wheel alignment is set and your steering wheel is centered everything will work as it is intended.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:35:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
Good, it looks as though you have it figured out now.
Marty

Offline Angela

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
I asked the following question back in December and I still need to find the answer. In the attached image, what are the three indents for? These three indents must be there for a reason and I'm certain they need to be installed into the woodgrain wheel in some specific orientation. I have no clue what the correct orientation is nor do I know what these indents are for. Please help. Pictures would be appreciated. I have to get this thing put together. Ugh.

Offline Angela

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
I just struggled with this for another 1/2 hr and am walking away. Ugh. if anyone has a pic of their wheel assembled but off of the car, please post the back side so I can see how the three indents are supposed to be aligned.

Online 67gta289

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
Here's a few pics.

Forget about those indents, they don't matter.  I presume it is a repro.  The originals I have have two, not three.

I can tell you what you need to concentrate on are the tabs that the plastic "nuts" are pushed on to.

I've put these together in 5 minutes, taken them apart, and spent 30 minutes trying to line it up.  Then next time it is 5 minutes.  Drives me crazy - I know sometimes not a far trip...
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »
FYI: I have two original plates and both have three (3) indents.

Online 67gta289

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
OK.  I could check others but I have at least the one with two in the picture.  I don't see any purpose since the wheel spins.  Although I have not put one together in years...that is coming soon I hope.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660