Author Topic: Water and glass media blasting  (Read 2925 times)

Offline ruppstang

Water and glass media blasting
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
We are restoring this 68 High Country Special J code and thought we would try something different to clean the metal, water and recycled glass blasting. I liked that it was dust free and did not warp the metal. It took about 6 hours. They also add a chemical to the water to prevent flash rusting so as long as it is kept dry so there is no rush to prime it. The only down side is cleaning out the glass residue out of the cracks and crevices. Here are some Pics.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:50:40 AM by ruppstang »

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Water and glass media blasting
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Having the right tools sure makes life easy-thanks for sharing.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
nothing like starting with a clean slate. good luck with the project!
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »
Was the metal etched?  It looks a little frosty in the pics.  Nice that it removes rust too.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »
No it was not etched it was just a additive in the water to stop the rust short term.
We were pretty lucky to get a 60 degree day this late in the year in Nebraska.
 This car has had a interesting past it has been rolled and has 5 bullet holes in it. I found a unused bullet in side, I wish the sheet metal could tell it's tales it might be a good story.
Marty

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
No it was not etched it was just a additive in the water to stop the rust short term.
We were pretty lucky to get a 60 degree day this late in the year in Nebraska.
 This car has had a interesting past it has been rolled and has 5 bullet holes in it. I found a unused bullet in side, I wish the sheet metal could tell it's tales it might be a good story.
Marty

At the body shop that did most of my cars, we had what appeared to be a very nice, unmolested '66 GT coupe.  The guy doing the work started digging around in the right quarter, and ended up finding several bullet holes.  If these cars could only talk....   :D
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
... They also add a chemical to the water to prevent flash rusting so as long as it is kept dry so there is no rush to prime it.

Do you know what chemical(s) they used to prevent the flash rusting and any aprox. quantities of any other products (glass beading, chemicals etc.)

I am basically "READY" for this phase but my "body" got set aside for the winter months because there really are no predictable 60 degree days left in Ohio for about 4-5 more months  :-\  I might get a chance to work on other items in the meantime while working next to the wood burner in the garage. And then there's always that "money issue" to deal with...I've had another one of those interuption with finances, as for many of us, money can get tight at times...My 30ft. x 70ft. Garage MUST get a new roof...and I mean SOON! Big Bucks! (and these Bucks are not the kind with antlers)

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
Do you know what chemical(s) they used to prevent the flash rusting and any aprox. quantities of any other products (glass beading, chemicals etc.)
When I clean hardware in the Eastwood vibrator with the green pyramids, I add TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) to the water to reduce oil and grease. When the items come out to air dry they seem to resist flash rust better than items without TSP. I'm not advocating the use of TSP, but you might give it a try on a small surface. I'm in a relatively dry summer time environment which may make a difference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.