Author Topic: Headlight and Taillight Wiring Harness Retainers, Dearborn '66  (Read 854 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I'm finishing up a few details on my '66 Dearborn fastback, and I've run across two wiring details that I'm not sure are correct for my car.  My car was built Dec. 8th, 1965. I have a couple of questions:

1. NPD lists a J-clip that bolts to the upper LH stud on the driver's side taillight bucket.  This is supposed to support the taillight harness as it makes the transition along the quarter panel towards the taillight panel.  I can't say that I remember seeing this detail on my car when I took it apart, nor can I off the top of my head ever remember seeing another car with that J-clip.  Would this be a correct detail for my car?  I know it sure would tidy up the wiring in the trunk, but I don't want to add it if it wasn't there originally.

Here's a picture of the J-clip:

2.  Here's a detail that I do seem to remember seeing on some '66 Mustangs, but again, I can't verify that my car had this originally.  As the headlight wiring harness makes it's way along the top of the radiator core support and feeds out towards the hole in the RH fender apron for the headlight wiring, it seems like some cars have a clip like the one pictured below.  This clip slides onto the edge of the core support and supports the harness as the wiring routes towards the fender apron.  Would this be correct for my car?  The '66 assembly manual does show this clip installed on the far RH side of the core support, but again, I don't want to add something my car didn't come with originally.

Here's a picture of the clip:
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Headlight and Taillight Wiring Harness Retainers, Dearborn '66
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
That J-clip typically goes on the upper stud of the quarter extension.  Should see it in the assembly manuals.

The clip on the rad support is hit and miss.  You would need to study other original cars close to your production date and assembly plant to get an idea if it was used or not.  I would never install it unless I had substantial proof that it should be there.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin