Author Topic: "A" Pillar Stainless (internal) Trim Painted?  (Read 822 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

"A" Pillar Stainless (internal) Trim Painted?
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
Hi all,
Seems that the stainless trim on my "A" pillars was painted flat or semi-gloss black on the side but I'm not really sure. Can someone please confirm the correct gloss level and areas to be painted please? I'm talking about the "internal" trim as per the photos and not the trim you would see from outside the car.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:36:16 PM by 66RavenGTCoupeAgain »
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: "A" Pillar Stainless Trim Painted?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 10:56:05 AM »
There shouldn't be any paint on them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Re: "A" Pillar Stainless Trim Painted?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
There shouldn't be any paint on them.
Thanks Charles. Always appreciate your replies. We are talking about the "internal" trim as per my pictures right? Just seems odd that a PO would paint the sides of these black as not that much attention to detail was given to the rest of the car when previously painted. All of the windshield trim and rubber seal was actually not removed when the PO did the color change so it would have been quite difficult to paint these while installed. (Rubber had original Ford part number) Both sides were painted the same too. When I say "sides" what I mean is the actual sides that you would see on the left and right of the trim as installed and not the wider section that gets screwed to the body. Seems to me that the sides were blacked out possibly to prevent glare or to make the trim not be seen near the rubber seal? I have attached pictures of the trim in question once I had cleaned them with Kerosene.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline jwc66k

Re: "A" Pillar Stainless (internal) Trim Painted?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
Rust, scratches and dirt are the usual reasons for painting trim pieces in a 50 year old car. To re-chrome them would be between $70 and $90 each. Thank the "greenies".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:09 PM »
Hi jwc66k,
Thanks also for your reply. These pieces are in great condition so no need for that. Any slight scratches will be sanded and buffed not chromed. I don't believe that this is why the paint is on there.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 01:50:07 AM »
Yes they are stainless so polishing would produce a very shinny finish

Could have been "painted" if someone changed the interior color and rattle canned the headliner  ::)

Looks like there is possibly exterior color/paint shown in Reply #2 third picture down.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 02:10:10 AM »
Yes they are stainless so polishing would produce a very shinny finish

Could have been "painted" if someone changed the interior color and rattle canned the headliner  ::)

Looks like there is possibly exterior color/paint shown in Reply #2 third picture down.

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for your reply.
The convertible top was not painted from the inside as the material was white fabric on black vinyl top. Interior was white actually. Correct about the exterior color in #2. The whole thing just seems very strange as there are no indicators to show that the black paint was done after the car was restored in 1985. No black over spray on rubbers or anywhere. As I mentioned, the car went from Prairie Bronze to Rangoon Red back then and these trims remained on the car when that was done. I know this because there was Bronze under them and red over spray on them and the rubbers and over the black paint in question. Car had not been painted or modified prior to the restoration done in 1985. So you guys have obviously never come across these blacked out trims before. Plot thickens. Think I will install them without paint until some is ever found. Will be easy enough to remove and do later if need be. For what it's worth this was on a Oct 64 scheduled car from SJ.
Thanks for the input guys!
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build