Author Topic: Decal observations - 68 Dearborn S code  (Read 617 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Decal observations - 68 Dearborn S code
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Hey gang,

I've searched this out and can't find many answers,  or if I do then anther search reveals that search was wrong!   So,  in the thought of duplicating everything online,  I figured I'd post again to really confuse people!  ;D

I'm wrapping up the restoration of my 68 S-Code GT Fastback (details in signature)  and an getting ready to add a few of the final decals on the car but have a few questions on where they go:

1. Tire Pressure Decal:   glove box liner in the smooth finished rectangular part of the liner?
2. Safety Act decal:   underside of decklid just below the striker?  Is that correct?  Reason I ask is ive seen posted here a few jack instructions decals on the underside of the lid.   But mine was on the rear taillight panel,  to the left of the gas filler neck,  upside down so it is able to be read when you open the trunk.  Didn't know if that Safety Act decal went somewhere else.  No evidence of it on my decklid originally.
3. PTBF and E:  where do these go?
4. Tie Down Instructions:  I've heard both yes and no for 68 Dearborn cars.   Use this or no?  No evidence on my car it was there.

Thanks guys!  This site has been such a huge help!  I'll post up pictures soon!  And a big thank you to Scott Fuller who hooked me up with a set of resonators! Thanks again Scott!! See you in the skys!

Dave
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:57:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Decal observations - 68 Dearborn S code
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
Ok I see you have a 68 S-Code GT Fastback built approx late December 1967

1. Tire Pressure Decal:   glove box liner in the smooth finished rectangular part of the liner?

In that general area :)

2. Safety Act decal:   underside of decklid just below the striker?  Is that correct?  Reason I ask is ive seen posted here a few jack instructions decals on the underside of the lid.   But mine was on the rear taillight panel,  to the left of the gas filler neck,  upside down so it is able to be read when you open the trunk.  Didn't know if that Safety Act decal went somewhere else.  No evidence of it on my decklid originally.

It the car still has original paint and there is no sign or adhesive showing that it was once (the jacking instructions) attached to the bottom of the trunk lid I might document and return it as found

Safety act examples are as follows

8F02C11066x

Best to leave that discussion to another separate reply

4. Tie Down Instructions:  I've heard both yes and no for 68 Dearborn cars.   Use this or no?  No evidence on my car it was there.

Don't know why Dearborn would have overlook or not attached this sticker. Its not unusual to find them missing (since they are not coated stickers like others) and its possible that some just assumed since they didn't see them the car didn't get one  ::)

8F182xxx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »

Looks through my pictures and note and I don't have enough solid data to offer a solid recommendation. Can offer the following

- If you already have purchased these - I hope you got the ones with square (not rounded) corners.

- During 68 at least one or two of the paint and or final inspectors switched to their old paint stamp method of marking the bodies and or parts rather than using the stickers.

- Sticker letter use and location varied allot between years making even more difficult. Examples in 67 have them in the trunk but in other years I don't.

- Often the locations will still be visible (due to the adhesive) though the original letter or letters will be missing.

- The most documented one I have for 68 Dearborn is the use of the double W on the cowl.  One that is not being reproduced if I recall

Would offer that IMHO its better to have none than to have wrong since this can influence and lead other owners astray when they see them and assume you know what your doing.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:50:54 PM »
That's great info, Jeff.  Yes.... here's my original jack instructions decal.  Copy all on the rest and thanks!

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December