Author Topic: Early 65 San Jose Fastback Trap Door Surround Panel Rivets or Screws?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early 65 San Jose Fastback Trap Door Surround Panel Rivets or Screws?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
Another observation....................... In the examples the 7 always seem to be a consistent color or similarly aged too.  If these were added later, I would think we'd see some examples where 2 protectors would look newer in addition to the original 5 which would often be reused.

Also with all the different shops, owners, etc who would redo the interior on these, I would think there would be much more inconsistency in these protectors...I.e. there vs not there, 5 old 2 new looking, etc.

Point taken - we'll continue to search for even better - ( less played with ;) examples to see what we can find. Should be able to put a fair number together

.........  Of course the Fastback only came out in Sep 64, so would be a short period

At least the production of fastbacks started then. We only have a few examples of the ones built before that period.   

One of the more unusual of the Sept ones I've seen was one with the cloth interior. Can't find anything that suggest that they could of been built that way - but there it was ;)   Better not get off thread    ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline birddog

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »
My San Jose fastback is Oct. 64. It had rivets around the trap door. Can't say for sure if they were factory or not.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »
My San Jose fastback is Oct. 64. It had rivets around the trap door. Can't say for sure if they were factory or not.

Know we can't be sure but we can sure collect ;)  so can we ask that everyone posting please include (modifying their original post would cut down on the clutter)  their cars projected build date from the door tag or VIN 

This might help track a change date or period if we can discover that the screw usage was original   

Birddog thanks for sharing and welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
I haven't posted yet in the breakoff thread but decided to take pictures of mine and post.  Since the car has been in the family since 1992, we have never taken the back panels out.  I know the carpet was changed in the car prior to us getting it.  Build date on the tag is October 29, 1964 and was sold new on Nov 6.  Also Jeff, could you explain that black piece of cloth tape in the middle?  It does not appear to be doing anything.  The wire above is held by those clips...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:06:14 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Found this early 65 Dearborn Fastback at a local shop.  Build date probably Nov 64 or Dec 65.  No door tag, but sheet metal stamps I checked were 10/23/64 to 11/3/64, and steering box tag was and 11/5/64.

It has rivets in the lower two trap door holes on both sides, screws in the upper hole on each side.  Interior is trashed.  It's been siting since 1982.  The current owner found it as is in '82 in another junkyard, so possible the rivets are original.

'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
Here's a couple more pictures of screws used on the trap door frame from a Sept 30, 1964 build, San Jose Fastback. More on this car later, just got access to it yesterday when I towed it to it's new home about 1 3/4 miles from the San Jose Assembly plant in Milpitas.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

Found it jeff
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe