Author Topic: 1966 February 10th San Jose HiPo C4 Transmission questions...  (Read 706 times)

Offline Morsel

Hi all, wondering if the bell housing on a HiPo Transmission is any different of a part number then a standard C4, also if anyone happens to know the actual part number of the bell housing, that would be super helpful too.

Last question, I've seen a lot of photos of restored C4 transmission on this site, various paint marks and OK stamps and orange sprays, any of that been confirmed to be correct for a 66 C4 Transmission? The other thing I noticed is every picture I've seen the slip yoke seal on the tail shaft they all have dust boots, I thought the original C4 when released didn't have dust boots and it was just a straight seal like the picture attached.

Sorry, a lot of questions, but have my HiPo C4 on my dining room table right now and taking care of a bunch of things with it so it would be great to deal with markings and such while I'm at it.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Morsel

Re: 1966 February 10th San Jose HiPo C4 Transmission questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
Sorry Jeff,

I meant to post this under "drivetrain" :(
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:18:42 PM »
No problem - Since it is year specific its better here. If the subject spanned across a number of years (as identified in the separate sections ex 66-69) then it would be best in the Driveline section

Hi all, wondering if the bell housing on a HiPo Transmission is any different of a part number then a standard C4, also if anyone happens to know the actual part number of the bell housing, that would be super helpful too.

Don't see anything that indicates they were different in any way. Your likely looking for the engineering number (how to identify) rather than part number. Can look up part number but its not going to be much help unless you found a NOS one in the box

Last question, I've seen a lot of photos of restored C4 transmission on this site, various paint marks and OK stamps and orange sprays, any of that been confirmed to be correct for a 66 C4 Transmission?

Since most have been rebuilt and rattle canned with silver paint not that many examples have survived. We have been lucky to meet one of the workers from the plant that built the automatics but they could only recall a small triangle stamp but I've yet to find an original example with that marking on the case.  The rest of the examples have a combination of paint marks (spray marks) hand written markings, number stamps and OK's but not enough to make out any pattern that I've seen

The other thing I noticed is every picture I've seen the slip yoke seal on the tail shaft they all have dust boots, I thought the original C4 when released didn't have dust boots and it was just a straight seal like the picture attached.

Since a high percentage of automatic transmissions have been rebuilt few still have their original rear seals in place. Looked through my files and offer the following examples

A random 65 San Jose example ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »
Thanks Jeff, yes, was looking for the engineering number which I think is "C5OP-7976-A" but wanted to confirm. I have a line on one to replace my cracked thread one that's in really nice shape.

Also, I'm shocked that all those pictures show a dust boot, I was sure the originals didn't have one.

Anyway, thanks for the info...

Jason