Author Topic: Rear Leaf Spring Inserts  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Morsel

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Inserts
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »
Had another question about these inserts, did they use some type of dumdum to hold them in place while they were assembled? When I was taking mine apart I noticed a goo that was in the nipple of each spring that sort of held the insert in place.

Also, is there any insert on the small top spring with the stampings, I found nothing when I took mine apart, but was wondering about the smaller nipple indent  and if something was supposed to be there?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »
Had another question about these inserts, did they use some type of dumdum to hold them in place while they were assembled? When I was taking mine apart I noticed a goo that was in the nipple of each spring that sort of held the insert in place.

Also, is there any insert on the small top spring with the stampings, I found nothing when I took mine apart, but was wondering about the smaller nipple indent  and if something was supposed to be there?

Thanks,

Jason
Cosmoline can be thick and may be what you are seeing. It was a preservative used on the springs when made.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 02:17:46 AM »

Agree with Bob that the "goo" may be Cosmoline but after all these years it could be anything. The cars have been through allot, sprayed and splashed with all sorts of things and no telling what some past owner may have sprayed on them in an effort to maintain or reserve

Those little features are only found on a small percentage of early springs - likely from one specific spring plant but as you have found they didn't get an insulator like the loner springs did
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
Thanks guys, this helps a lot.

But of course I have one last question, I was looking at my original spray paint marks which look exactly like the attached photo. I'm wondering about the "course" spray. Basically what are people using to do these spray dots, I feel like if I use a can of spray paint the spatter pattern will be too fine and not as course as the example shown here or my own that I'm seeing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
Thanks guys, this helps a lot.

But of course I have one last question, I was looking at my original spray paint marks which look exactly like the attached photo. I'm wondering about the "course" spray. Basically what are people using to do these spray dots, I feel like if I use a can of spray paint the spatter pattern will be too fine and not as course as the example shown here or my own that I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I believe that you are over-thinking the paint daub details. Put yourself on the spring assembly line 50+ years ago when "a bunch" of these springs were coming across the line and it was your job to mark them. If you were "armed" with two spray cans of paint (one yellow-one green) you probably weren't too concerned about exactly where or how you were going to apply the required paint markings. I'm sure that you were more than likely a little more messy at the end of the shift than you were at the beginning.

Having said all of that, point the spray can(s) in about the correct place and shoot! If the paint runs, that's ok (my springs had "factory" runs in some of the marks. In this case, I think messy is a little more believable than "concours neat" .

Just my 2 dollars worth (inflation).

Frank

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
Here is my suggestion make yourself a cardboard mask. Cut a round hole about the size of the dot you want to spray. Hold the cardboard about three inches above the spring when you spray the color. You should get a fuzzy dot. A few practice dots on some scrap cardboard will help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »

Two good recommendations. Consider that when cleaning we often remove much if not all of the finer spray leaving only the solid and courser paint so you may be chasing something that is not as close to what the original looked like.  Sometimes we over evaluate what we find forgetting to take into consideration things we should.  Just my thoughts.

With a little practice you'll get a feeling for how to control and get what your looking for  I'm sure  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
Think assembly line. The worker identifying these parts is "bored", "stressed" and has "a lot to do". His job is not to be neat, but to identify the items quickly. Many of the identifying marks have "runs", as in a spray nozzle (gun or rattle can) held too close. It was done ONCE per mark per spring (see "bored", "stressed" and has "a lot to do"). In other words, don't try to be neat.
The same "technique" applies to the use of a paint brush to identify.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
Here is my suggestion make yourself a cardboard mask. Cut a round hole about the size of the dot you want to spray. Hold the cardboard about three inches above the spring when you spray the color. You should get a fuzzy dot. A few practice dots on some scrap cardboard will help.

Most spray paint cans now have a fan spray nozzle, so I've used the same cardboard cutout to replicate the circular pattern.  I suppose one could find spray nozzles to replicate the circular pattern.  It would be hard to replicate with a paint gun as the spray is usually very fine, depending on the tip used.

The thing to note here is this was not a surgical-type of application.  These paint markings were done quickly with no additional attention given other than applying the correct colors.  Splatter, runs..., that's just how it was.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
Oh I know, I'm not really trying to be "neat" or precise at all and get a perfect circle or anything... and I definitely like drips and runs and do all my markings a fast and sloppy as it would have been done ( a lot of coffee sometimes or a few beers really help achieve the desired results ;).

It was more I was noticing how course the spatter pattern was around the edges, and other examples of peoples spray dots on these springs that I've seen have had too soft of an edge IMO to what I'm seeing on the real examples. I like the cardboard idea, I could see that spattering the edges nicely, I'll give that a shot. I might also try to get the nozzle all dirty and clogged prior and see if that might help.

Thanks,

Jason
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:24:08 PM by Morsel »