Author Topic: 69/70 Original Autolite Shock Detail Question  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
69/70 Original Autolite Shock Detail Question
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
This question is in regard to original Autolite front shocks used on 69/70 Mustangs. I can't imagine it matters what assembly plant was involved.

Was the top of the shock dipped in paint so as to coat both the metal part AND the rubber bushing? Or, was the rubber bushing left unpainted?

Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69/70 Original Autolite Shock Detail Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:23:43 PM »
This question is in regard to original Autolite front shocks used on 69/70 Mustangs. I can't imagine it matters what assembly plant was involved.

Was the top of the shock dipped in paint so as to coat both the metal part AND the rubber bushing? Or, was the rubber bushing left unpainted?

Thanks!
The rubber bushing in the upper part of the front shock is painted . Sometimes the paint flacks off because of the rubber flexing with use.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
Thanks, Bob! :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »

Differences come in with what plant the shock was made at. Gabriel used two plants one in CANADA and one in the US. Each has some sight differences between the two. Also since different car plants normally received shocks from specific Gabriel plants  that can reflect these production differences. But painting is not one of those differences from what I've seen so far
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)