Author Topic: Original Wheel Weights?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Original Wheel Weights?
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
I just wanted to confirm that these are the original wheel weights on my '65. I took these off the wheels today with the original Firestone Deluxe Champion tires still mounted.  I was able to salvage 8 of these, of various weights, and will reuse them with the new tires if they are correct.  Thanks in advance.  8)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:05:59 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original Wheel Weights?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
Which plant ??? Dearborn?  As it should/may make a difference
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
Yes, Jeff, Dearborn I figured they would all use the same weights BUT we know that's not really something we can assume... ;)  The twist with this car is that it was used on the Magic Skyway at the '65 World's Fair and when it was sent back to Dearborn  to be refurbished, in the late fall of '65, it was given a set of '66 7.35-14 5/8" white wall tires and wheels, from a Falcon I would assume.  SO...the wheel weights are most likely from a '66 model. To add another layer to the story, the wheels and tires could have been mounted outside of the actual assembly plant and done while the car was being refurbished before it was sold off of the Ford employee lot on December 23rd '65 in Dearborn.  So maybe the real question is: are these wheel weights period correct for a '65 or '66?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »
Considering all of the cars that were produced, I'm guessing that this is a very tough one to nail down for sure.  Just a guess, but there were likely more than one brand used.  The big factor is not to use any "newer" weights that are measured in grams.  Those definitely were not used on the cars that we talk about here on this forum.