Author Topic: 65-66 Shifter Knob Restoration  (Read 3392 times)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
65-66 Shifter Knob Restoration
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
I have a decent OE 66 4-speed bakelite shifter knob I'd like to restore. Has anyone here done this?

TIA,
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65-66 Shifter Knob Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
What is wrong with the condition?  If its nicks and damage to the plastic you might be out of luck but lets see what the group says.  Just for polishing I've used a vibration polisher with corn husks and micro polish for other items like starter relays and dist caps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff. No nicks or other damage, just dull from age (micro scratches, etc.) so repainting the numbers and a good polish would probably do it. Never tried polishing bakelite before so mainly just wondering how it reacts compared to other plastics...

Thanks,
Dave

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »
For reference, the knob is not bakelite but a white plastic. Use a buffing wheel with some extra fine media CAREFULLY. You might consider the compound that was developed for plastic head light covers that new cars have. My neighbor used the compound kit on his 2006 import from a far away country with a North/South problem.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »
For reference, the knob is not bakelite but a white plastic. ..................

????   Maybe white if you changed the original shifter to an aftermarket Hurst one like this one

Instead they used the same as used on all 66 4 speed Mustangs ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
http://vintageford4speedshifters.blogspot.com.au/

Try this article on restoring the shifter knob

Cheers
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »

Thanks for sharing - one observation IMHO I would never use Armor All on anything anything I owned - maybe for something else that would work in its place
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »
????   Maybe white if you changed the original shifter to an aftermarket Hurst one like this one

Instead they used the same as used on all 66 4 speed Mustangs ;)

Jeff,
You are 100 pct correct, it's a black knob, still plastic, although bakelite may be a catch-all material name. I used industrial grade bakelite to make chassis and other structural mock-ups in the early days of the computer industry. Easy to work with but dusty when cut. I never had to polish it though, just paint to cover the excess epoxy.
I replaced the Ford shifter on all four of my 4 speed cars with a Hurst linkage with-in a month or two of when I got the car and so I only remember the white shifter knobs, well on three Mustangs at least, my 69 had an aluminum billet T handle.
I agree with you on Armor All. When it first hit the market it was seen as the greatest thing since sliced bread. When applied, it looked fantastic, but as more and more uses came to notice where its slipery properties were found to be dangerous, I stopped using it. Vinyl seat covers, steering wheels, brake and clutch pedals were not ment to be slippery. I think there were also problems on dash pads cracking.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »

Cheers

Thanks for the article. Bill Heeley is the shifter man so if he's involved it's good stuff. Although I do agree with Jeff about the Armour All...

Dave