Author Topic: recreating body buck tags  (Read 4293 times)

Offline RocketScientist

recreating body buck tags
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
Can you recreate the body buck tags (the one that sits next to the engine bay vin number) on T model cars, based upon the Marti Report?

I am looking at a 67, S code car, that has lost it and would really like to have a replacement.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: recreating body buck tags
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
That is a good question, they would be plant specific.
The placement of the letter codes is also year specific.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
Thought some one reproducing some years and factories at one time but don't believe any more. Way too many variations (even within a production year) in codes, shape and make up of the tag.

Think it would be cost prohibitive to have all the stamps made to do it and you would have to send a fair amount of time collecting data from your specific plant and assembly month with all the options and such that match your car.

A plant worker described that the guys on the line were given a "decoder" that they carried in their pocket _ sure it was not all workers just ones that needed to know. He described it as  two pieces of cardboard (a front and a back) with pages in between. A hole punched in all of them in the upper corner and a ring to hold them in place. He told me that every so often someone higher up would come up with new codes and he would had out a new page or pages to replace the old codes from earlier in production.

Years ago I put together a group project where we collected buck tag information from allot of people then organized it and redistributed back to the participants for their research projects. All on paper at that time. That was years ago before allot of guys were using the internet but after the Mustang Research Newsletter period ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
I have wondered if Dearborn used the same machine for making Mustang and Cougar buck tags, or if they had separate machines.

When Kevin was working on his Mustang and Cougar Tagbook, I supplied bucktag samples to Phil Parcells. I probably have over a 1000 door and buck tags from 1967-73 Cougars.

I can almost say when the corners became rounded on the door tags. Lots of my buck tags, were blank door tags on the reverse.
Shifting of the margin, font change in 1968?.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
MY understanding is that only Metucheon, NJ cars got body buck tags.

I would think that Kevin Marti could certainly make a correct, proper body buck tag for a '67 based on the info available on/from one of his Deluxe "Marti-Reports"

Why not ask him?  www.martiauto.com   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:02:27 AM by 5F08KGT »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
MY understanding is that only Metucheon, NJ cars got body buck tags.

Nope ;)  All three plants used buck tags at some point  during mustang production (San Jose for a fairly short period) In 67 Both NJ and Dearborn used these to help guide the first part of the car's assembly

I would think that Kevin Marti could certainly make a correct, proper body buck tag for a '67 based on the info available on/from one of his Deluxe "Marti-Reports"

Don't think having the info is the issue - its if Kevin has the correct stamps and plates made for this specific application

Here is an example from each plant - style, codes, shape, font ......... can/do vary depending on time period and plant. Kevin did publish a book that includes allot of information about these tags and others - The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook- a number of people on this site are mentioned in the book ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
Gotcha Jeff! I think I was thinking about (JUST) '65-'66s with only Metucheon having body buck tags.

I really don't know nearly as much about the '67 up in that respect......