Author Topic: Cleaning white convertible top  (Read 3141 times)

Offline rodster

Cleaning white convertible top
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »

Does anyone know the best way to refurbish/clean a white convertible top?  It's not excessively dirty, just needs a good cleaning.

Thanks...
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning white convertible top
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »
i have used simple green with good results. i used it full strength & scrubbed with a stiff brush.
5F09C331248

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I was also told Comet cleanser and a stiff brush but I would want to try it first on a junk top and they are a little hard to find in junkyards these days.

Simple Green has worked well under the hood for degreasing but I did notice it will leave spots on the paint if used full strength.

Whatever I use, I'll probably consider using plastic and tape to cover the body to keep the solution from running over the paint.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
As per my top installer, I have used Murphy's Oil Soap and water with a stiff bristle brush to clean mine.  He says that the Murphy's Oil Soap also helps keep the top 'conditioned'.  Just be sure to rinse well after scrubbing.  Jim 
66 Signalflare Red GT Conv. 'A' code 289, 4 spd T-10, AC, PS, PT, black deluxe interior
Built July 20 @ Metuchen, NJ plant

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
I saved this good write up from  a long time ago but don't recall the source or author.  Thinking it was Jeff or Bill Collins?  Would like to give credit where credit is due.

Thought it was very thorough so I wanted to share it.

The product I normally use on tops is Koala Kamikaze convertible top cleaner. This is formulated specifically for really dirty tops. They also have a regular formula that is bleachless, so you need not worry about the product attacking the top material if used regularly. They also have an after cleaning sealer formulated for tops. Here is the link: http://www.koalaproducts.net/cleaners.htm

A few things to bear in mind. Regardless of product used, the application advice given here is good, especially to do this only about 2' x 2' at a time. Be careful to NOT let any product get onto any painted or stainless areas at full strength! It may stain them! Bleche-White is especially strong stuff. Keep these areas wet at all times.

As a precaution when cleaning really dirty tops, I make a plastic drape to cover the painted areas of the car. Go to the paint store and get a large plastic drop cloth at least 4 mil thick, and a roll of 3M painter's tape. The drop cloth should be big enough to completely cover the car and drape to the ground on all sides. FYI - A Mustang is about 16 feet long, so get at least a 24 foot length.

Measure and cut a slit across the drape to line up with and be only as wide as the top header of the windshield. Raise the top slightly and pull the drape all the way over the car, letting the front of the top pass through the slit. Lower and latch the top, cinching the drape between the windshield header and tops of the side windows. Trim the drape so it envelops the body around the base of the top. Use the tape to tightly fasten the cut edge of the drape to the stainless base mouldings. Be sure the stainless is completely covered.

If fastened properly, this setup will allow you to really go at the top as many times as necessary, without concern for any product getting onto the paint or trim. It also makes final rinse off easy, as it can be done with a hose. Although a bit time consuming to set up, the materials are inexpensive, especially compared to paint or trim repair!

I also recommend gloves. Prolonged contact of the skin with Bleche-White will make your hands begin to feel tingly!

Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
I would be careful using Comet. My sister used to clean her white top on her early 90's Mustang (with a white top) and the thread used in the sewing of the top discolored. Blueish if I remember right. Very harsh detergents will possibly harm the cotton in the thread and cause it to prematurely fail.