Author Topic: The asphalt (cloth) wire loom  (Read 7504 times)

priceless

The asphalt (cloth) wire loom
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
I am wanting to replace the old cracked asphalt wire loom material around the wires under the hood including the signal light wires that go into the hood scoop from the underside on my 69 Mach1.
  My question is,,,,,how? For instance, the signal light wires have a plug on one end and the lights that go into the scoop on the other end. So, how would I get the new asphalt wire loom over the wires without having to actually cut the wires then mend them back together,,,which I DON'T want to do. The asphalt wire loom won't fit over the lights on one end or the plug on the other end.
 I wonder how they did it from the factory?  any help would be appreciated. 

Offline rockhouse66

Re: The asphalt (cloth) wire loom
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
I can understand not wanting to do this, but the only practical way to replace the loom is to cut the wire, slide the loom on, then solder the wire back together.  Choose a place to cut that is just inside where the end of the loom needs to be, so you can push the loom up the wire out of the way while you are soldering then slide it back over your splice.  Soldered joint with shrink wrap over it, hidden by the new loom, and no one will know if you don't tell them.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Weaved braiding material is installed prior to molding of the connectors at the factory. 

As an aside, most Ford braiding loom is cotton, and is not available in that material, as it is flammable and no manufacturer is willing to take the risk of selling it and the liability associated with use.   :-\
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

priceless

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
I bought this asphalt (cloth) wire loom from Homepro fasteners in Charlotte,NC at the huge Auto Fair and is identical to what came on the Mach1 from the factory. Check them out at homeprofasteners.com, click on Electrical and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's Fire retardant and prevent moisture absorbtion. I'm going to probably do what rockhouse66 is talking about. That's what I figured I would have to do anyway,but, I think it will turn out great,,,,thanks rock.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:39:08 PM by priceless »

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the link!

priceless

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
By the way, rockhouse66. your from Western NC? So am I. What town are you near? I'm about 10 miles Northwest of Asheville. Our local club got awarded an MCA National here in Asheville on Labor Day weekend. Hope you get to make it. Please visit our website at: brmcoa.org.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
By the way, rockhouse66. your from Western NC? So am I. What town are you near? I'm about 10 miles Northwest of Asheville. Our local club got awarded an MCA National here in Asheville on Labor Day weekend. Hope you get to make it. Please visit our website at: brmcoa.org.

I am 35 miles W. of Asheville.  Already signed up the show!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:39 AM »
macsautoparts.com has black (asphalt) wiring loom.

Part no. V14597B 1/4"     i.d  0.50 usd per foot
"         . V14597C 5/16"   i.d  0.60 usd  "     "
"         . V14597D 1/2"    i.d  0.70 usd   "    " 

64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
Just 2 cents to add. If the protective sheathing is 40 years old and falling apart, what do you think is happening to the wiring? My guess is Alloy is making new harnesses and even if they aren't they will most likely make one up for you if you supply old one. Their work is perfect and you don't run the risk of burning up your beautiful  new restoration.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
This asphalt loom - is that what would have originaly been on the wires on a '65 FB.
If so what size diameter would I need to re do the single wire from the Gas tank sender to the trunk floor and the wire that runs across the rear panel between the tail lights.
This new loom looks very black and tightly woven whereas my old loom is light in colour and very loosely woven
Thanks
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
I bought several samples of different sizes from homeprofasteners.com, and will begin work to compare it to the best examples of tailight harnesses in my inventory, as well as looms for the resistance wire and oil sending wire.  Give me some time, and I'll report back. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »
In my opinion, the original covering will deteriorate over time, especially the covering on the tag light wire.  Which is why it may appear lighter and more flexible.  The wire cover on the gas tank lead, which is the same material, usually holds up well and is pretty much identical to the material that can be bought these days.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
Thanks Guys
I will buy some 3/16, 1/4 , and 5/16 and see what is best ( if they will ship to the UK)
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
I bought several samples of different sizes from homeprofasteners.com, and will begin work to compare it to the best examples of tailight harnesses in my inventory, as well as looms for the resistance wire and oil sending wire.  Give me some time, and I'll report back.

I finally got around to trying to restore a 68 tailight harness.  First off, the available looms are at most 10' long, and the main run is about 11' long.  There are many "break-outs" that make it extremely difficult to install a replacement loom.  The ends of the OEM looms are looped back inside the loom to keep it from unraveling.  I gave up after 20 minutes just looking at all of the work involved and how best to attack the problem.  It appears that the loom was applied before molding the various plugs, or the wires were individually fed inside the loom as the first task of harness manufacturing.  The aftermarket looms do not look nearly as flexible as the originals.

The repro looms are probably best applied to single wire runs, such as the oil sending unit line under the hood and the pink resistor wire run for the main harness, as well as other single-wire runs.