Author Topic: Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F  (Read 928 times)

Offline QKSLVER

Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F
« on: April 24, 2024, 10:03:12 AM »
I am looking for a restored Autolite 4300 carburetor, C9ZF-F, for a 1969 Mustang 390 Mach 1 with an automatic transmission.  Given the fact these aren't as popular as the Holley counterparts, does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to find one?  Most of the vendors I see selling restored carburetors only seem to carry the Holley.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 12:18:56 PM »
I am looking for a restored Autolite 4300 carburetor, C9ZF-F, for a 1969 Mustang 390 Mach 1 with an automatic transmission.  Given the fact these aren't as popular as the Holley counterparts, does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to find one?  Most of the vendors I see selling restored carburetors only seem to carry the Holley.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Of course you can wait around and hope a restored one shows up. Since that carb is not in high demand most that restore and sell will not put the time and money into it to sit on a shelf. Your best chance is to find one used and have it restored. best of luck on your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 06:56:08 PM »

Here's one: [size=78%]https://www.ebay.com/itm/155746695682?itmmeta=01HW91JHRQT7D3TEJD3CGPV5YE&hash=item244339fa02:g:7DUAAOSwXN5e6VU7&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8PYTR7lVD7j9F4dlKHwdlxwrBxF%2FxXSwukdOixp5vn%2Bypo2FTp2NIfcQFYi2ijuCMJVc9yd8dbghTBGjiUxbh9%2B76NHbb6et%2BN8MvSRvLRrT3L5Mv%2B0S72y0RnzHwGQImngpoKO9Ja8CJMZUAuzxCy2KcGWAZUWMTuRlg2rY9wVojg8U1R5%2FLuRe%2FGPzCBU5EcXJGlT0xhwOXj%2BN1dSgEoiPSvCkdGpRnZa0wwNO4nQUfmv9l6aLJkSO2n%2FAgVonx8xaDf6GGMjGWkDjGozLoG0NwAIHOYhdh3E8%2FTB42Rifmv4MdXgjRfFdYThyKSATHw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMvJzKoeJj[/size]
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 07:29:09 PM »
For some reason carb rebuilders have a hard problem getting 4300's to run right. At least from mine and just about everyone I know experience. If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know . Many say that they can but when you get the pretty restored carb it doesn't run right or runs ok for a week and then goes to s#!t.  Many enthusiasts just give up trying to get one to run right and run a Holley.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 07:57:36 PM »
For some reason carb rebuilders have a hard problem getting 4300's to run right. At least from mine and just about everyone I know experience. If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know . Many say that they can but when you get the pretty restored carb it doesn't run right or runs ok for a week and then goes to s#!t.  Many enthusiasts just give up trying to get one to run right and run a Holley.
Ain't that the truth. I took me over 10 years to get these Webers to run right on my VW engine. The experience got this one offf a 66 done in a day. See attached.
Of course you can wait around and hope a restored one shows up. Since that carb is not in high demand most that restore and sell will not put the time and money into it to sit on a shelf. Your best chance is to find one used and have it restored. best of luck on your search.
If you do get the one you need and it does need a rebuild, scratch some "code" on the underside as an ID and take a picture of it. A couple of members of my Mustang club sent their carbs out to get rebuilt only to get something else backJim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 01:22:47 AM »

Truth.  They are a serious pain, I'm dealing with one now, can't say how many times I've had it apart now.  One mod is to install a secondary needle block off plug which seems to help with common flooding issues.  They are fairly simple carbs as far as the number of parts/pieces that get replaced during a rebuild.  It seems they are quite sensitive to fuel pressure also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 05:13:15 AM »
Are the MotorCraft 4300's any better???

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 10:02:37 AM »
Are the MotorCraft 4300's any better???
Wishful thinking I am afraid.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 12:26:26 PM »
After working dozens of hours on a C8ZF-D 4300, finally threw in the towel and installed a Holley, engine runs perfect.  Couldn't get a smooth idle with the 4300 no matter what I did.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 12:28:42 PM »
I must have got lucky, sent mine to Tim Lancaster at Classic Carb Restorations in North Carolina for a rebuild and it came out of the box running great, no issues with it.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 01:20:59 PM »
I must have got lucky, sent mine to Tim Lancaster at Classic Carb Restorations in North Carolina for a rebuild and it came out of the box running great, no issues with it.
There is always that one guy. ;)  ;D

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 02:14:08 PM »
 :D

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:45:00 AM »
"If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know"

Team, 

Drew podjednic from air fuel spark recommended all state carbs in New York.  www.allcarbs.com.  Jarrod was great to deal with and my 70 Mach 1 4v D0OE-AD autolite came back looking amazing.  They test them all before sending back.  However I don't have my motor done to verify anything.  Just my experience so far. 

Dan in kansas

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:50:21 PM »
"If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know"

Team, 

Drew podjednic from air fuel spark recommended all state carbs in New York.  www.allcarbs.com.  Jarrod was great to deal with and my 70 Mach 1 4v D0OE-AD autolite came back looking amazing.  They test them all before sending back.  However I don't have my motor done to verify anything.  Just my experience so far. 

Dan in kansas
I had recommendations to send my last 4300 there too . It has been about 2 years ago . It looked great when I got it back however It didn't run or idle well like I expected given it was to be tested on a running engine prior to shipping.  I was waiting on the carb to come back because it went on a sold car that the new owner knew that the carb was being rebuilt . I understand that the new owner had problems with it too. I don't know if the problem got solved .