Author Topic: 66 K-Code C4 date wheel and C servo cover  (Read 1033 times)

Offline HIPPO

66 K-Code C4 date wheel and C servo cover
« on: April 28, 2023, 09:27:28 PM »
New to the sport and just spent hours reading the immensely helpful posts on this site.

Incredible amount of knowledge and talent in this database, and amazing that so many people are so gracious to share it. :)

I have a K-Code auto coupe, and I'm hopeful the C4 can be assessed as original.

Date wheel - would I be correct in deciphering it as cast 2 April 1966? and does it have the correct (partial) casting number?
Servo - Is this the correct 'thin' C for this car's build date and correct casting number?

Any other info appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1966 K-Code Coupe

6R07K185XXX

Proposed Build date: 14D

Warranty Door Tag: Trans 6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 K-Code C4 date wheel and C servo cover
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 12:34:16 AM »
First welcome  to the site. Hope you find the information and support your looking for when it comes to restoring or maintaining your concours level car

I have a K-Code auto coupe, and I'm hopeful the C4 can be assessed as original.

Date wheel - would I be correct in deciphering it as cast 2 April 1966? and does it have the correct (partial) casting number?
Servo - Is this the correct 'thin' C for this car's build date and correct casting number?

First you will find the search feature helpful though you will, like most search engines, to experiment with wording to find allot of the earlier posts.

One that turned up that fits you one question well is  https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19228.msg121351#msg121351
Which reports that thin "C" servo covers have been found on early Feb 66 K code C4's So their introduction/usage predates the period your dealing with.

Now about the single date wheel on the transmission case and the casting number  over the "wheel" verses two wheels and the casting number smaller and under the wheels I can't been certain.  Have seen them both ways but the vast majority I've seen and have pictures of is the two wheel with the smaller casting number below and a "box' or line around all three castings as shown below. The two wheel with the casting number was used through the C8 period at least. Have examples of C4, C5, C6 & C8

An original from a examples likely built mid March at San Jose. Had to piece two pictures together to show both wheels

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HIPPO

Re: 66 K-Code C4 date wheel and C servo cover
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 01:50:41 AM »
Yes thanks very much Jeff.

I think I had come across that thread from Jason Morsel re. the C Servo. In fact Jason and I have similar cars (except his is a FB), and we have in the past swapped some photos.

As for the date wheel, yes I saw that thread about the wheels and was very interested to read about dating the casting by the number of dots inside the wheel (which I would never had guessed in a million years)... ;D

So I suppose I'll just be content that my car is the fourth month 66, and there are four dots with a big 66 nearby... :)

Thanks again and no doubt I'll have more questions to try and crack the code on these wonderful cars.