Author Topic: Radiator hose diameter  (Read 1882 times)

Offline slk25

Radiator hose diameter
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
I recently purchased the concourse correct hoses for my San Jose 66 fastback with a 289.
I am having some issues getting this back together.
The lower hose I received was 1.625" id and the neck of the water pump is 1.75" od.
Needless to say the hose was very hard to put on, since I had to stretch the circumference almost 3/8".
I measured the old hose the came off and found it is 1.75 id throughout its length.
Since I broke the Wittek clamp trying to force it over the stretched hose, I began to wonder if this water pump is not correct for 66 or some running change Ford did around the build date of March 66 when the car was assembled.
Can anyone tell me if this water pump is correct?  Is there some date codes I can find without taking it off the motor?
Also, are any hoses like my old one available with the correct Ford marking?  I purchased the new hose from NPD.
Any help you can render would be appreciated.
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual

Offline jwc66k

Re: Radiator hose diameter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
You got the wrong hose. Who ever sold you your hose messed up. I declined to remove my lower hose to measure the ID so I measured the OD, it's 2.070 inches. That would make it about 1.75 inches which is what you need. I got mine from Marti Auto many moons back. It's marked C6ZE-8286-A (plus another number) and it's on an Oct 65 build 66 GT "K" Fastback.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline slk25

Re: Radiator hose diameter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »
Well, I stand corrected.
I never would have guessed that the 1.625 id hose would fit over the 1,75 od water pump outlet.
I took some liquid hand soap and lubed up the hose and pump outlet.
Viola, the hose slid right on. Very little effort.
The other end is belled out to 1.75" to fit the radiator and works fine.
Now if I just had not broken the Wittek date stamped clamp I would be back on the road now.!
Another lesson learned.
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual