Author Topic: how often do you guys rotate the tires on your classic Mustangs  (Read 672 times)

Offline relex

how often do you guys rotate the tires on your classic Mustangs
« on: November 12, 2023, 10:33:10 AM »
how often do you guys rotate the tires on your classic Mustangs?  I only put about maybe 1,000 miles a year on the car and change the oil once a year but I haven't rotated the tires since I got them back in 2006.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

Offline DougDyar

Re: how often do you guys rotate the tires on your classic Mustangs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 10:41:24 AM »
I don't rotate them any more often than I do with my daily drivers. Every 10,000 miles.

I will suggest that if you are still using tires from 2006 on your Mustang, you have a potential problem far worse than tire rotation...
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline dave6768

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
I really don't drive enough to worry about rotating them.  I've never seen any unusual wear.   I just replace them every 10 years or so.

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 12:37:27 PM »
Maybe not what you are looking for, but I have 3 sets of wheels for my car, depending on what I am doing with it. Only my "show" set, the original 15" with Polyglas tires get rotated as my other 2 sets have directional rotation and are sized differently front to rear. I take the show tires off for non-show driving and when I put them back on, I grab them randomly, so I am sure there is a pretty uncommon rotation pattern.  :-P
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 10:56:57 PM »
  I know that replacing expensive tires poses a dilemma. I had 20 year old tires on my trailer that had 9000 miles on them and looked fine. I noted the trailer had developed more sway one year and could not imagine why. One of the tires blew out. Trailer sway was gone when I replaced them. I concluded that they were failing internally. Driving at reduced speed on older tires is a must. Wet traction is diminished also.
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:28:39 PM »
I rotate tires every 5000 miles on all my cars including show cars.  Daily drivers get cleaned front and back.  Show cars get cleaned every year.  I have not had any issues with maintained old tires on my cars. I think the tire industry has purposely instilled fear in the consumer for using anything over 6 years old.  I had several shops refuse to mount a tire over 6 years old stating it was a Federal Law preventing it. Wrong, not the case.

I have had some very old roller tires pop sitting in the driveway and yes, they looked bad.  I also had 2 car trailer tires blow out at once with a car on it.  Many trailer tires are cheap quality and sit out in the sun everyday.  My guess they were 15 years old or less.  After the blow outs, I found the nearest tire shop and replaced all 4.  I considered it the cost of borrowing the trailer.  Another friend blew out tires on his fairly new trailer as well.  I put covers over the trailer tires now.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline dave6768

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:37:10 PM »
I take my cars to a specialty shop.  They check the balance and trueness of all 4 wheels before mounting the tires and put the best two upfront.  So... I never drive enough to need to ever rotate, and I always have the best two up front.