Author Topic: 1968 Mustang S-Code 390 Fan Belt Routing (Idler Pulley)  (Read 10037 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Mustang S-Code 390 Fan Belt Routing (Idler Pulley)
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
FYI if you decide to use the later 68-70 style then I have a bracket just like in Jeff's pic that I would be happy to give you if you pick up the shipping. it would  a indexed pulley/shaft pressed in (taken from a more common upper SB/BB adjustable Mustang one) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
If a wide flange base bolt then there is no reason for washer . They are mostly correct but not always. Better then the alternative. FYI the serrated flange bolts in engine picture follow the witness line found on the brackets before refurbishing (but still there).

Thanks Bob.  So the zinc phosphate is correct for the bolts?  Also, the two thick washers they put in the kit with the four zinc phosphate bolts are exactly the same diameter as the base of the bolt.  So would a witness line prove there was no washer?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Here are the pictures of what I have. Is this the one? There are no numbers just the letters SPC.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
Here are the pictures of what I have. Is this the one? There are no numbers just the letters SPC.
That is the later 68/69 fixed lower pulley for a big block. The 70 version has a larger diameter bearing cover in the center.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 11:27:54 PM »
another pulley comparison.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:32:30 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 11:45:56 PM »
Thanks Bob.  So the zinc phosphate is correct for the bolts?  Also, the two thick washers they put in the kit with the four zinc phosphate bolts are exactly the same diameter as the base of the bolt.  So would a witness line prove there was no washer?
Yes the bolts are zinc phosphate for 67-70. The witness line on the adjustable pulley typically has serrated edges which I posted in reply #14. The serrated witness line indicates regardless if the same size washer or not, that a smooth washer would not be present .

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »
FYI if you decide to use the later 68-70 style then I have a bracket just like in Jeff's pic that I would be happy to give you if you pick up the shipping. it would  a indexed pulley/shaft pressed in (taken from a more common upper SB/BB adjustable Mustang one) .

Bob, thank you for the offer, however, since this 68 was built in Nov 67, I think I'd prefer to look for the 67/early 68 version.  This will mean locating the A/C bracket and both the upper/lower idler pulleys.  It'll cost some extra but I think I'll be much happier when it's complete knowing it's as close to factory original as I can get. 
Also, the picture with the complete set up will be very helpful when searching for the correct parts.

Thanks to all who contributed (Jeff!), you guys do a great job helping us all to be true to the passion of Mustang restoration, especially for us armatures.  Keep up the great work.
Lee

1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
Bob, thank you for the offer, however, since this 68 was built in Nov 67, I think I'd prefer to look for the 67/early 68 version.  This will mean locating the A/C bracket and both the upper/lower idler pulleys.  It'll cost some extra but I think I'll be much happier when it's complete knowing it's as close to factory original as I can get. 
Also, the picture with the complete set up will be very helpful when searching for the correct parts.

Thanks to all who contributed (Jeff!), you guys do a great job helping us all to be true to the passion of Mustang restoration, especially for us armatures.  Keep up the great work.
Lee
It is easy to tell the difference between the compressor upper bracket what with the picture to go by. It is a different story on the other brackets because the SB and the BB upper adjustable pulley look similar but fit differently. Also the big car 390/428 upper adjustable one has a longer stud holding the pulley when compared to the BB Mustang one. The same caution goes for the lower fixed pulley . The big block item looks similar to the small block but will not interchange. Just study the parts before taking the plunge as you will typically come across 10 small block brackets to every one big block item. Best of luck with the search.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
Yes the bolts are zinc phosphate for 67-70. The witness line on the adjustable pulley typically has serrated edges which I posted in reply #14. The serrated witness line indicates regardless if the same size washer or not, that a smooth washer would not be present .

OK, I got it, thanks.  I had seen those serrated lines on mine, but had interpreted them as just places where the bolt dug into the bracket from bubba over tightening it over the years.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.