Author Topic: Alternator stator finish  (Read 3590 times)

Offline gjz30075

Alternator stator finish
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Please excuse me if this has been answered before but I can't find where it was posted.    For a '66 alternator, what's the best way to refinish the stator?   I've seen various bronze/copper type of shades, covered with a varnish type of finish.   
Thanks!
Greg Z

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Alternator stator finish
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:41:25 PM »
There is a special material made just for that purpose - you might want to seek it out and just recoat it.

Can not come up with the name or term for the coating just this minute - sorry

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »

This is a picture of an original NOS piece that I used for a rebuild earlier this year.  Maybe gives a better idea of color...

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »
The varnish imparts a honey color to the windings. That is the look you are going for . As Jeff said there is a specific product that rebuilders use , I think any exterior type heavy duty varnish can be tinted to mimic the correct look on the outside IMHO.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Thanks guys.   I'll start experimenting with my varnishes and seek out the product Jeff suggests, if I can't get it right.
Greg Z

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
Please report back when you find a suitable color combo. Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
Just a note . The product intended for the purpose insulating the windings is important to use IF dipping the entire assembly like was done when it was manufactured for the purpose of insulating it . If just wanting to get the correct look on the outside it is not important to get the original type product but more important in this case to get the best look. There are a number of products out there that rebuilders use that is the reason we have all the different variations in color. If you can't find the rebuilders product it might be easier to mix and tint something up yourself for the purpose of just doing the outside that you see. I would use something that was rated for exterior because it would be less maintenance and hold up better down the road. Just my suggestion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cbrown

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
Do you think that shade varied?  I have taken a couple of orig. alternators apart and found different shades of brown?

chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
Do you think that shade varied?  I have taken a couple of orig. alternators apart and found different shades of brown?

chris

Might have differed a little but we can't use 40+ year old examples IMHO as a guide on this detail due to all the possible things that may have played into altering the finish over that time period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
I was faced with this problem recently and tried something that came out really well.
I cleaned up the stator windings then applied a thin wash of re oxide primer to give a red tinge.
Then I purchased a tiny bottle of yellow bulb paint, the stuff used to colour turn signal bulbs. I painted the stator with this - 2 coats and it came up with that clear reddy brown colour, looks really good.
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
I was faced with this problem recently and tried something that came out really well.
I cleaned up the stator windings then applied a thin wash of re oxide primer to give a red tinge.
Then I purchased a tiny bottle of yellow bulb paint, the stuff used to colour turn signal bulbs. I painted the stator with this - 2 coats and it came up with that clear reddy brown colour, looks really good.
I have only see the "reddy brown " color on rebuilt alternators and not assemblyline units. Bob