Author Topic: More Tie-Down Brackets  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Brian Conway

More Tie-Down Brackets
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
I don't believe my car came with tie downs.  I have the remains of a welded in place tie down.  Both sides of the car and on the outside frame rail.  The welded strap metal covers the forward, tie down, mounting hole leaving the reward hole exposed.I just assumed because it was a factory dual exhaust car.  Correct or is something else going on ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: More Tie-Down Brackets
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Sounds like something an exhaust shop would do.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
I don't believe my car came with tie downs. ................

If they were removed at the dealership how could you be sure?

The smaller strap material now welded to you frame rails sounds like a down and dirty exhaust mount by a muffler shop as Charles suggests
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
Well, you guys could be right but these pieces of flat metal, 1/4" x 3", are mounted to the outside of the frame rails and have been burned of even with the leaf springs.  That location does nothing for getting exhaust pipes out the GT exhaust holes.  I' ve been around this car since it was delivered here in San Diego and am pretty familiar with its history.  I always just thought these were used for transport to LA and were burned off after delivery, or added for the truck ride to SD.  Just something thats always been on the car and never really knew why.  Thanks.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
The decal which should have been where the license plate went on the rear valance stated that the tie downs were to be removed before delivery to customer. Some dealers did it while other just skipped the process to save some time/money. Since they were bolted on I doubt any ford dealer would torch them off versus unbolting it. Bigger liability issue with a open flame and a gas tank. Seen a couple muffler shops go up in smoke because of a torch happy mechanic and a leaky gas tank. By the way never work with a incandescent bulb type shop light while under the car and working on a gas tank. Very horrible story I can tell about someone switching a slightly pressurized canister type fuel filter and a shop light. Cold gasoline on a hot bulb left the guy trapped under the car in a fireball. Comma for 12 years. Be extra careful.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
Take a look at the picture and let me know what you think.  San Jose car delivered in San Diego end of May 65.   Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
Take a look at the picture and let me know what you think.  San Jose car delivered in San Diego end of May 65.   Brian
I think they were added after the fact . All of that welding would be too much work plus the safety/hazard issue when torched off for the factory /dealer to do it compared to the ease of installation and removal of the typical bolt on type. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »
Take a look at the picture and let me know what you think. ..........

Another busy PO with a welder and a torch :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
Looks like it may be a hitch mount that some one else decided they that they did not want. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Looks like it may be a hitch mount that some one else decided they that they did not want. Marty
Good call Marty.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
Thank you Marty.  That is a very real possibility.  Brian 
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.