Author Topic: How to bend and lock the leaf spring band clamps  (Read 2512 times)

Offline 3 Pedals

How to bend and lock the leaf spring band clamps
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:54:39 AM »
I have a new set of "round hole" band clamps for the rear leaf springs. I know they are different lengths (two-leaf, three-leaf and four-leaf) and have them placed correctly on the springs. Now I need to bend the clamps and then "lock" the tab. If you have done this before, can you walk me through a process that worked for you and the tools you used?
Thanks
Jeff

Offline sportyworty

Re: How to bend and lock the leaf spring band clamps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »
Jeff without writing a play by play this link will get you going in the right direction. I have been doing them with 2 sizes of C clamps one inside the other to square up the sides while you clamp from top to bottom. Use a block of wood and so you do not scar the tabs. I also have the plastic pads for the C clamp ends. If you need any other pics of the process I have lots from doing them and can email

Do not pay attention to anything else on this link except the leaf clamp method lol

https://riseofthethunderbird.wordpress.com/category/leaf-spring-restoration/

Kerry

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
The link with the pictures of how to place the clamps and then bend is really helpful. This guy working on his T-Bird gives VERY specific measuremnt for where to place the band çlamps as measured from the center hole. Do the band's need to be placed that exact? If so, would you have the measurements for '67 leaf spring clamps?
      Thank you for your reply and excellent link to pictures.
Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »
The link with the pictures of how to place the clamps and then bend is really helpful. This guy working on his T-Bird gives VERY specific measurement for where to place the band çlamps as measured from the center hole. Do the band's need to be placed that exact? If so, would you have the measurements for '67 leaf spring clamps?
      Thank you for your reply and excellent link to pictures.
Jeff

I've done them much like Kerry and the article shows for many years. Step by step clamping, folding then moving the clamps as you go.  Most of the time reusing the originals which brings with it some other concerns

As far as spacing the clamps there is a area they should line up with a general range or area of the spring. Once clamped you can move them a bit though you run the risk of the sliding producing scratches :(

If you can't find a picture of two on the site that shows the original location of the clamps just ask and I'm sure we can get those posted up for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I found this thread that has some nice pictures of refinished leaf springs and the position of the clamps - especially reply #22 from Caspian65
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5677.15

I was able to get the clamps on tonight and very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for the link to instructions on how to install.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 05:57:08 PM »
One thing that seems to be missing here,  at least for 68s, is the dimple on either side of the clamp. Does anyone try to replicate that with a punch after installing the clamps like the T bird directions?

Here's a picture my original clamps with the dimple on either side of the leaf.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662