Author Topic: 70 Mach 1 Metuchen trunk prop rod  (Read 4337 times)

Offline restomod

70 Mach 1 Metuchen trunk prop rod
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Tried for a search but you cant believe how often prop and rod are mentioned in this forum as part of other words lol.

Anyway I saw a few pictures of a Dearborn car with a trunk prop rod but they weren't a complete shot of it.  Someone installed one on my Metuchen car and recently the rod fell off the clip at the top.  Got me thinking:

A) Does anyone have pictures of which end is which of the rod and how it installs in the clip properly?
B) Does anyone have pictures of the the hole on the other end, it's location or lack there of that was either common or from factory?
C) Was the prop rod always an add on or was it ever factory?
D) If they ever did come from the factory were there differences in locations from each plant?

Some of those questions feed of each other I know.  If it was never factory they could have been probably installed every which way.
1970 Mach 1 Grabber Orange 351c-4v

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Mach 1 Metuchen trunk prop rod
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »
Using NJ built Boss 302's also. Lots more of them to help with the details

Factory IMHO would account for the vast majority of installation of rear wing/spoilers

Sorry no great shots focused on that specific detail but hopefully in total these will help

Clip that holds the rod to the trunk looks somewhat like a throttle rod clip used at the carburetor end

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Vcode

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
Here's the hole location that shown on the Boos 302 site.

http://www.boss302.com/rodhole.htm

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
Here's the hole location that shown on the Boos 302 site.

http://www.boss302.com/rodhole.htm

Another example of Ford wanting one thing and workers (especially at NJ) doing another ;)

Looks like Dearborn  followed closer to what was expected. These holes were individually drilled by hand on the line
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:23:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline restomod

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:00:24 PM »
Thanks guys, the last two pics help.  The gold car show the ribbed end of the rod is the part that goes in the quarter hole, and the red car should steer me in the right direction to get it back in the clip on the other end which is smooth? 

All in all whoever painted the car must have put it back pretty darn close to factory because mine is almost identical in locations to the grabber green car as a whole. I thought it was way off and all in the wrong spots but these pics help. Makes me think they may be the original trunk lid and quarter extension too so they used the same holes that were there but I haven't looked at the lid to look for original markings or anything.  Probably another search is in order to figure that all out.
1970 Mach 1 Grabber Orange 351c-4v

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
............. Makes me think they may be the original trunk lid and quarter extension too so they used the same holes that were there but I haven't looked at the lid to look for original markings or anything. ........

I would start with the stamping date on the trunk lid compared to your cars real build date and other panels (hood and fenders for example)
Jeff Speegle