Author Topic: 70 Metuchen Boss 302 VIN's and tags  (Read 1810 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
70 Metuchen Boss 302 VIN's and tags
« on: August 04, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »
Posted the following pictures and information to another site and thought members and lurkers here might benefit from them being posted here too. Much of the information also applies to 70 Mustangs built at the same plant in 1970.

DASH VIN

BUCK TAG

ENGINE VIN

TRANSMISSION VIN

TRANSMISSION ID TAG

UNI-BODY VIN LOCATIONS

UNI-BODY VIN EXAMPLES -Note will go into the mistaken VIN patterns found on many of the 70 NJ hidden body VINs in another post below

« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 07:33:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
Re: 70 Metuchen Boss 302 VIN's and tags
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 05:04:18 PM »
A friend is doing some work on a customers B2. Something does not look right!

Any opinion?

Thanks
John

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 05:14:58 PM »
You should recommend getting a Marti Report.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 06:25:25 PM »
A friend is doing some work on a customers B2. Something does not look right!

Any opinion?

Hard to tell from the pictures, sorry. Are those pictures of both engine compartment VIN's?

Guessing that the Dash VIN is likely the one that the owner of the car has the registration and paperwork that matches and that the hidden numbers are the ones that don't match the dash and paperwork.

NOT OFFERING LEGAL ADVISE but if were me I would be concerned going forward that if I put much money in the car to restore it or repair it I would later be faced by problems costing me more dollars in the future. Yes plants made mistake and sometimes the results were not pretty as far as licensing and the DMVs getting involved. Allot of states in my experience would likely reVIN a car like this so it "conformed" to the laws and requirements. In the past and in some states they have even reused the original VIN if the car had a different front clip but that appears not to be the case in this example.

Marti report would be nice to have but it will only tell us if there was a 70 NJ Boss 302 built with this serial number and you could then compare options to see if the car is likely that car. The Marti report will not prove that the car in front of you is that same car. There is the possibility that the dash tag VIN tag was put on another car. From what we've seen so far this does not appear to be the case only stating and exploring the possibilities
Jeff Speegle

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »
Hard to tell from the pictures, sorry. Are those pictures of both engine compartment VIN's?

Guessing that the Dash VIN is likely the one that the owner of the car has the registration and paperwork that matches and that the hidden numbers are the ones that don't match the dash and paperwork.

NOT OFFERING LEGAL ADVISE but if were me I would be concerned going forward that if I put much money in the car to restore it or repair it I would later be faced by problems costing me more dollars in the future. Yes plants made mistake and sometimes the results were not pretty as far as licensing and the DMVs getting involved. Allot of states in my experience would likely reVIN a car like this so it "conformed" to the laws and requirements. In the past and in some states they have even reused the original VIN if the car had a different front clip but that appears not to be the case in this example.

Marti report would be nice to have but it will only tell us if there was a 70 NJ Boss 302 built with this serial number and you could then compare options to see if the car is likely that car. The Marti report will not prove that the car in front of you is that same car. There is the possibility that the dash tag VIN tag was put on another car. From what we've seen so far this does not appear to be the case only stating and exploring the possibilities

Would know more tomorrow when I would do an inspection myself!

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 11:36:02 PM »
I looked up the dash tag vin number in the Y2K registry and it lists that the car is color code 1-calypso coral and 63A standard interior with interior code BE-vermillion vinyl. It was equipped with a 3.91 rear axle and a close ratio 4 speed. At the time of printing the car was a 3 owner with less than 50k in good condition and was located in North Miami Beach Florida
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 05:34:44 PM »
Looks like there are more cars with the 0T111111 .

Todd over on the Boss302 forum sendt me this pics of his car.

Exactly the same stamping as the local car over here!

Wonder what was going on at the Metuchen plant back then!!!

Quite sure that this 'error' was/is on more cars, and I am quite sure that not all of them are Boss 302's.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks
John
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 05:37:41 PM by JohnB »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 05:57:56 PM »
Looks like there are more cars with the 0T111111 .

Todd over on the Boss302 forum send me this pics of his car.

Exactly the same stamping as the local car over here!

Wonder what was going on at the Metuchen plant back then!!!

Quite sure that this 'error' was/is on more cars, and I am quite sure that not all of them are Boss 302's.

Opinions anyone?

So today's post is from another car with the same hidden VIN stamped under the fender edge but with a different VIN on the VIN tag visible on the drivers side dash?

Most of the "mistakes" or unusual VINs from NJ in 70 that have been documented have been for the year/date - the first digit before the plant identifier not the sequential number. Those "mistakes" are well documented as I'm sure you have found.

If there are two cars with the same hidden VIN that could lead to some real problems at some point. It could and did happen but very unusual and as mentioned created issues later. Recall my dad (PD detective assigned to auto thief in a decent size metro) came across two Dodge vehicles that were identical in every way including the VIN's Resolution was to have one crushed. Not sure why one was not just reseralized but that was the choice by Dodge who bought one of the cars and did the crushing - or had it done by others
Jeff Speegle

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 06:03:32 PM »
So today's post is from another car with the same hidden VIN stamped under the fender edge but with a different VIN on the VIN tag visible on the drivers side dash?

Correct!

Attached the Marti from the Norwegian car. Sorry for the glare!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:06:14 PM by JohnB »

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 06:14:06 PM »
Maybe a case for Kevin Marti?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 07:07:41 PM »
Maybe a case for Kevin Marti?

Don't believe so. What Kevin will have is the official VIN for each car not mistakes or what was actually stamped on the car just what was suppose to be stamped. If Ford knew about the the incorrectly stamped cars or VINs they would have been required to do something about it
Jeff Speegle