Author Topic: Tire mold resistent coating removal?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Morsel

Tire mold resistent coating removal?
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Howdy, just got a set of US Royal duel red line tires from Coker to run on my car and it's got this horrible mold resistant coating on them that even with hot water and elbow grease isn't coming off. The only way I've had any luck is to sit there while the tire is dry and slowly rub it with my finger to remove it little by little. Anyone else deal with this and have a trick to removing it without damaging the tire? Any types of solutions or other tricks?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Tire mold resistent coating removal?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
West Coast Cougars has a video on cleaning tires, including this awful coating.  See if you can find it by searching their videos. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
JASON.

have you tried vinegar and steel wool
works for me on the other side of the world

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline tobkob

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
Jason,
 Have you tried contacting Coker?

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
Enamel reducer works well, but is the nuclear option and I would worry about discoloring the red lines.  I really like the Tuff Shine tire cleaner, but it is only available online.  https://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-cleaner.html 

I've heard good things about the Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew, but have not tried it.  Make sure you are using a good, stiff brush with short bristles.  In fact, Tuff Shine sells a kit with their excellent tire coating that includes a brush that is the best one that I've used for cleaning tires.

Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
The rubber in modern tires  have a compound added to protect the rubber from ozone which deteriorates rubber as a tire moves this compound is constantly coming to the surface to protect the rubber when I looked into this the color of the material coming to the surface was a medium to dark brown color and is very tenacious and needs a solvent to remove and it will be back. I cant say if the Coker tires have this though.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
Tire repairs (patches) on the insides of the tires require the use of a liquid cleaning prior to buffing (sanding) the rubber so the patch will adhere. Is comes in rectangular quart containers with a nozzle. Search for Liquid Pre-Buff or Rubber Prep. This should work and probably a 'stable' solvent for use on rubber. Maybe take a tire to a tire store and try it to see if it works for your need before buying it.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone... I did watch the West Coast Cougar video and it's really great for cleaning white walls and the tires using the Bleche-Wite, but it really didn't say anything about this coating. I've also read several other articles saying Adams works really well for this coating. I'm going to give the vinegar a shot tonight, and was planning on call Coker, that was my next move ;) I'll let you all know what they say, I assume more of us will have this problem with the dual red lines from them.

Thanks again everyone,

jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 02:29:19 PM »
Just got off the phone with Coker and here's what they said... The coating is water soluble, they said the best thing they've had success with is to get a big tube and fill it with how water, let it soak about 15mins, and then it for the most part should just wipe right off. If there are stubborn areas, use Simple Green concentrated, not in the spray bottle, but the gallon.

So I guess I'll give this a try and let you all know...

Jason

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 12:45:34 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but let me give an update because I?ve found a method that works really well. My son bought a set of Michelin XWX tires for his Superformance 289 Cobra and I?ve never seen a coating of mold release that was so difficult to remove. No matter what product and how much scrubbing we did, they still had a brown tint that wasn?t acceptable.

Then I learned about using Goo Gone Pro Power spray gel for this purpose. I already had some, but it never occurred to me to use it on tires. Simply spray it on a dry tire then scrub with a stiff nylon bristle brush. Apparently it has a solvent in it that breaks down the material as you will see a thickish black film come off the tire. Five minutes of work per tire results in a smooth, pure black rubber surface that looks like a new tire should.

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5