Author Topic: UCA & LCA dipping techniques.  (Read 704 times)

Offline Maksim27

UCA & LCA dipping techniques.
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:25:42 AM »
Guys I was wondering if I can dip control arms using hydro-dipping...

Not sure which water to use for filling up a bucket of water...Tap water or distilled. 

Next using either aerosol to spray in the water or use 1 qt of Rust-oleum Semi-Gloss oil based paint Can and dip it in the water. 

At first I was thinking of getting a 2 gallon Rust-Oleum but that would be super expensive at 180.00 and would be a waste of product when I'm finished.

The only thing I'm not sure if surface Rust can form under the paint from having water mixed with paint.  If the paint is oil based then I'm not sure there will be surface rust under the paint.  When I remove original dipping from UCA and LCA I do find surface rust under the paint.

Pictures are just an example of UCA and LCA...I have many...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134261414315 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:18:09 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline rockhouse66

Re: 1966 UCA & LCA dipping techniques.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
I am sure a search will find lots of discussion about this.  Just float the Rust O Leum on top of the water - it helps to sort of pour it over something so it doesn't just impact the water.  You need to thin it or you will have heavy globs/drips during the drying process.  Don't worry about the rust thing, but it isn't a bad idea to spray a coat of black on the part you want to be dipped black.  That way if you have a bubble or some other incomplete coverage when dipping, you won't see it.  Go slowly into the paint layer until past it and draw out slowly and hang up to dry.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 10:12:13 PM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 07:32:20 PM »
Would offer a few tips

As mentioned you will need to reduce the paint with a thinner - based on the type of paint your using.

Test first. Get some metal strips or I guess even a bunch of paint sticks to test how well if covers, thickness of coating and so on

Stir the paint and thinner well before you plan on using it. One of my early experiments suffered from air bubbles I introduced into the paint mixture while mixing it and it produced a terrible final look

Good luck, take notes, pictures and share with others you issues as well as successes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 04:40:31 PM »
What do you do with the bucket of water that has a layer of black paint floating on its top? The paint will dry - slowly, but the final disposition seems to be "elusive". The toilet is out. So is the garage deep sink. I'm sure your city will frown on using the gutter, and even a convenient storm drain.
Think these techniques thru - before you start.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:24:24 PM »
What do you do with the bucket of water that has a layer of black paint floating on its top? The paint will dry - slowly, but the final disposition seems to be "elusive". The toilet is out. So is the garage deep sink. I'm sure your city will frown on using the gutter, and even a convenient storm drain.
Think these techniques thru - before you start.
Jim

Have taken the dried remnant to the household disposal site locally. When asked I just told them, it was dried paint. That's what they are there for. :) IMHO Drained the water out below the layer of paint by just drilling out a small hole on the side of the very bottom them put a section of duct tape over the hole once I got most of the water out.

Just what has worked for me.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 09:52:33 PM »
I put a bag in the bucket and then drain the bag, leaving the paint residue inside.  If you dump cat litter in with the paint, it is now a solid and in our area can just be put in with the garbage.
Jim
'66 GT FB